Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    i will get all the rest i need when im dead corkycat's Avatar
    +1

Exclamation check your pump bearings

guys ive just stripped out my pump to install the "magic prop" that duke sent me just looking at the prop on the bench i swear my ski is smilling on the drive.
    anyways i replaced the grease in the cone 20hrs ago maybee less, i removed the cone just now to check as its gona be spinning at 8500rpms, and to my shock the grease was fooked, there had been a touch of water got in past the seal so im just giving you all a refresher check your pump bearings if you have not done so in a while it takes 15 mins to do it, and is worth it for what it will cost to replace the bearings

+1
    have you got the updated washer

+1
    no i havnt, there is nothing wrong with my bearings nor my original washer, a washer is a washer. lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by corkycat View Post
    no i havnt, there is nothing wrong with my bearings nor my original washer, a washer is a washer. lol
    i expected better from you Mark...

if i can be arsed i will dig up the thread...

+1
    haha, as far as im concerned a washer is a washer, its not a crush washer its just a washer. ive checked it and it is fine along with the bearings today... i might just paint mine the same colour as the upgrade

No reason for Yamaha to issue a tech bulletin if the upgraded washers proved to have no benefit. At those pressures and rpms, metals act differently than you would assume. In this case, a washer is not just a washer. Get the gold replacement.

+1
    god chill out i was only having a laugh,lol i am looking into getting the replacement washer but the point of the thread was just to give people a heads up to remember to check the grease as mine had a touch of water in after only 10hrs probably just a one off but still worth a check

+1
    Your original intent of the thread corky is good. I had my pump bearings replaced once already due to failure while still under warranty. They told me I got the upgraded washer and when I checked the other day, I in fact did NOT have the upgraded washer. I also had a bit of water in my bearings and pump cone. When I spin the shaft over by hand I can hear a sound similar to that of a cat "purring" very faintly. I know the bearings will need to be replaced very soon and this time I will make sure I get the upgraded front washer that seals better and keeps water out. For now I am running the pump as is because it is not making a noticable sound while in the ski with the engine running. When it gets bad enough you will hear a "buzzing" sound even over your engine noise. That is when you need to replace them asap.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Your original intent of the thread corky is good. I had my pump bearings replaced once already due to failure while still under warranty. They told me I got the upgraded washer and when I checked the other day, I in fact did NOT have the upgraded washer. I also had a bit of water in my bearings and pump cone. When I spin the shaft over by hand I can hear a sound similar to that of a cat "purring" very faintly. I know the bearings will need to be replaced very soon and this time I will make sure I get the upgraded front washer that seals better and keeps water out. For now I am running the pump as is because it is not making a noticable sound while in the ski with the engine running. When it gets bad enough you will hear a "buzzing" sound even over your engine noise. That is when you need to replace them asap.
    Don't you just love it when someone is doing a service for you and they (allegedly) lie right to your face.

I'm going to try to remember to post a pic of my washer because it is worn to hell from the pressure.

+1
    taken on board guys, i will replace this washer regardless now then just to make sure, when i had the cone off today and the bearing out i checked both the washer and bearing for wear and also used my calipers to check if they were both out of shape and both are fine, im very very fussy and not one to cut corners and if i even thaught it was slightly worn i would have ordered a replacement and rendered the ski to the drive untill replacements arrived, this thread was not posted up to bicker or fight nor am i lying or think that anybody is lying.... it was put up just as a quick reminder for people to check their pump cone grease as i found a very slight amount of water that had started to turn the grease....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information