1996 Polaris SLX780 is riding low in the water

My 1996 Polaris SLX780 is riding low in the water at idle speed, meaning with just one person on it the stern is about an inch under the water and the bow is barely above the water. It seems to be fine when running at 2000 rpms or higher. Any ideas? I am wondering if the floatation in the hull might be water logged and if so what to do.

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    Doesn't sound that bad to me. My SL sits about the same. Depends how heavy the rider is.

+1
    ya my SLH is low as well. Think it just a Polaris thing. Frist time out I was thinking im going to sink. Dont think you have any problems.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    What's the trim set at?

Full tank of fuel or empty?

Any water in the hull?

It's normal for the hull to be nose heavy at idle. If it looks like that when under way, you may be taking on water.

I have the same ski and go about 220# it rides low in the water. Its just the way that ski is. I usually have it trimed way down to keep the bow above water. I also have a Yamaha waveventure and under certain conditions the bow seems to dive down under the water. At first I thought it was full of water that was sloshing to the front but it turns out to just be nose heavy especial with full gas tank. Bottom line is the older skis were designed for different handling characteristics than the newer more stable skis. Don't worry you're not gonna sink it.

Quote Originally Posted by orangeman View Post
    I have the same ski and go about 220# it rides low in the water. Its just the way that ski is. I usually have it trimed way down to keep the bow above water. I also have a Yamaha waveventure and under certain conditions the bow seems to dive down under the water. At first I thought it was full of water that was sloshing to the front but it turns out to just be nose heavy especial with full gas tank. Bottom line is the older skis were designed for different handling characteristics than the newer more stable skis. Don't worry you're not gonna sink it.

Thanks. I will try trimming it down.

Rides low in the water at full tank or empty. No water in the hull. Underway the nose is above water. Guess that is just the way the ski is. I will try trimming it down a bit based on other feedback. Thanks.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Actually, trimming it DOWN will lower the nose. (meant to plant the ski at take off for faster planing)

When I'm idling through a no wake zone, I trim it all the way up to keep from submarining the ski. (PRO 785 is real nose heavy with a full tank of fuel. Not uncommon to dip under water if not on the throttle)

Thread Information