Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newb here with oil change questions

But I just got a 09 FZR, need to change oil, its got like 14 hours. I don't want to go back with Yamalube because it just isn't availiable around here. Could always go with AMSoil, but I guess my question is, is it to early for full synthetic? And does it have to be marine oil? Found some pennzoil 10-40 in local parts store for like 4.95 a quart, but it doesn't say marine on it. What oil do you run?
    http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/wcf.aspx

And where is the cheapest place to get filters? They are like $19 a piece at 4-tec preformanc.

I am wanting to change my oil every 15 hours. Is that too much? I think it would make me feel better about beating the shiz out of her.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lew04 View Post
    But I just got a 09 FZR, need to change oil, its got like 14 hours. I don't want to go back with Yamalube because it just isn't availiable around here. Could always go with AMSoil, but I guess my question is, is it to early for full synthetic? And does it have to be marine oil? Found some pennzoil 10-40 in local parts store for like 4.95 a quart, but it doesn't say marine on it. What oil do you run?
    http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/wcf.aspx

And where is the cheapest place to get filters? They are like $19 a piece at 4-tec preformanc.

I am wanting to change my oil every 15 hours. Is that too much? I think it would make me feel better about beating the shiz out of her.
    I went to full syn Mobil1 4T at 13 hours. The oil you choose needs to be JASO MA rated for proper clutch operation at the super charger. I got my filter local. Hell its expensive either way. I was going to change my oil 2 times per season depending on the hours I piled on.

+1
    How far can the siphon tube go down the dipstick port? I'm only getting out just over a quart of oil...I have the front of the trailer sitting on the ground, the oil cap removed, and I started pumping the oil out right after I got back from riding so the oil was nice and hot.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by C Dawg222 View Post
    How far can the siphon tube go down the dipstick port? I'm only getting out just over a quart of oil...I have the front of the trailer sitting on the ground, the oil cap removed, and I started pumping the oil out right after I got back from riding so the oil was nice and hot.
    You only want the motor SLIGHTLY tipped forward. Work that siphon tune around in here carefully to get it down further.

Just this past weekend I pulled out damn close to a milk jug full. That is almost 4 quarts! No BS. I was just patient and wiggled the siphon tube around in the dipstick tube until I could get past a couple little kinks. I started with the nose of the trailer tipped UP about an inch above where a level sat centered on top of the valve cover. I would pull out as much as I could, then I would drop the nose of the trailer about an inch and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes, then I would get some more, then I would do that all over again dropping the nose another inch and pulling out even more. I would say I got about 3.5-3.6 quarts out. That's good enough for me as most guys are only getting about 3.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    You only want the motor SLIGHTLY tipped forward. Work that siphon tune around in here carefully to get it down further.

Just this past weekend I pulled out damn close to a milk jug full. That is almost 4 quarts! No BS. I was just patient and wiggled the siphon tube around in the dipstick tube until I could get past a couple little kinks. I started with the nose of the trailer tipped UP about an inch above where a level sat centered on top of the valve cover. I would pull out as much as I could, then I would drop the nose of the trailer about an inch and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes, then I would get some more, then I would do that all over again dropping the nose another inch and pulling out even more. I would say I got about 3.5-3.6 quarts out. That's good enough for me as most guys are only getting about 3.
    Okay well I might havta cut the end of the tube at a 45...I tried pushing it down even further but I didn't want to push too hard. Can you measure how far your tube goes into the dipstick port for me...I don't wanna force it further than it's supposed to go. Right now I have the tubed marked at the spot that it was from my RXP but like I said, I have the tube bottomed out right now, and am only getting out just over a quart.

+1
    Hey C Dawg222,

I just checked the workshop manual and it stats that 650mm down from the top of the dipstick.
    I also marked my siphon tube and it measured 740mm. I am not sure if its to far but I got more out.
    The end of my siphon is the metal spiral type about 6mm diameter so I was able to put a slight kink about 15-20 from the end.
    Where I had marked the 740mm I put a line in line with the kink so I new it if it was up or down.
    Thats how I do it Hope this helps.

+1
    I'm using a 5/16" plastic siphon tube and I can't get it to go any further than about 560mm. It seems to be bottomed out...I even cut it at a 45 but still couldn't get it to go down any further. What size tube are you all using? I don't want to force it down any further with the resistance I'm feeling

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by C Dawg222 View Post
    I'm using a 5/16" plastic siphon tube and I can't get it to go any further than about 560mm. It seems to be bottomed out...I even cut it at a 45 but still couldn't get it to go down any further. What size tube are you all using? I don't want to force it down any further with the resistance I'm feeling
    I have felt that resistance you are talking about and just kept wiggling it an pushing past it. You will know once you get past it. ANd once you do much more oil can be removed. I'll run out right now and take a pic of my oil extractor so you can get an idea of what I'm working with.

+1
    Here's the whole apparatus. lol The stock tube on the extractor was too hard to shove all the way down the dipstick tube. So I attached a hose I had from another el'cheepo extractor from Walmart and it fit perfectly.

You can see the difference in the diamerter here.

This probably won't help you much, but all I can tell you is it will feel like you hit something solid when pushing the hose down in there, you have to get past that point in order to get the oil out. Just cram it down in to an extent. It takes some force but I wouldn't get crazy with it. You aren't going to break anything really. It's all pretty solid down in there. I haven't had the oil pan off ever so I'm not sure what you have to push past but I assume it's part of the windage tray or something else.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Here's the whole apparatus. lol The stock tube on the extractor was too hard to shove all the way down the dipstick tube. So I attached a hose I had from another el'cheepo extractor from Walmart and it fit perfectly.

You can see the difference in the diamerter here.

This probably won't help you much, but all I can tell you is it will feel like you hit something solid when pushing the hose down in there, you have to get past that point in order to get the oil out. Just cram it down in to an extent. It takes some force but I wouldn't get crazy with it. You aren't going to break anything really. It's all pretty solid down in there. I haven't had the oil pan off ever so I'm not sure what you have to push past but I assume it's part of the windage tray or something else.
    I think I need a more flexible tube like that...the tube I'm using is kind of a hard plastic. Which oil extractor from wal mart is that from? I might just buy the oil extractor for the smaller more flexible hose

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information