+1

2000 SLH 700 stall problem

First off I like to say think you to K447 you have help me so much.

go the carbs rebuild and all parts are there and even responds much better then before. However here are my new problems.

1. Speed no longer works. If im going 6K plus RPM it shows numbers from 20-77 but nothing that is ture.

2. When I first start it up does not matter if engine is hot or not. if I just gun it, it will die never gets over 2k rpms. If I play with the gas it will get over the 2k rpm and then I can gun it. Once I get over it once it will work everytime when I gun it. some times it like to bog a little but will go. both low end screws are set at 1 3/4 turn. Idles at 1550-1600 tops out at 6560-6620 rpm's. Runs great otherwise.

things I have done before this run: rebuild carbs. And move red/puply wire from CDI to OR conntions. (best thing I done it starts evertime no more waiting like 5 mins) Thanks once more K447 for the help on this. Cleaned complete inside of ski replaces oil filter from oil tank.

I also tested the Oil injected for the first time. As I was told it was disabled but when motor was rebuilt notice it was all there and was working. so filled it up. But still keep tank 40:1 as this was my 2nd tink since rebuild thinking the oil injection would keep me at 32-1 or more. It seemed to work as it is taking oil. But how do you know if it is set correct?

Thank you all for your help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    There is an index mark on the oil pump arm, and another on the oil pump body. You can use a small mirror to check that they are aligned when the throttle is in idle position.

Before adjusting oil pump cable, make sure throttle cable slack is set correctly, and throttle shaft idle position screw is set for correct idle RPM. Your in-water idle at 1550 RPM seems a bit fast.

Then adjust oil pump cable adjuster to align index marks, or have the pump arm mark slightly 'ahead' of the pump index mark (gives a tad more oil at idle RPM).

Speedometer; I would inspect the clear hose all the way from the back of the MFD down to the pitot nipple under the drive shaft. Look for cracks, kinks, clogs or leaking connections. Must be air-tight from end to end.

+1
    Thank you once more!

I have looked at the pump and seems correct. I will try to get a picture of it and post. as the service book picture sucks and I do not understand what it is telling me to do.

The only clear hose I can find out of the MFD goes to the back of the ski and is just setting onthe bottom by the battery. This should be plug to a nipple by drive shaft? I see the grease fitting on the shaft but no nipple like a hose plugs into. It was getting dark so I will check first when I get home since the light will be better.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by barondurden View Post
    ...The only clear hose I can find out of the MFD goes to the back of the ski and is just setting on the bottom by the battery.

...I will check first when I get home since the light will be better.
    There are TWO small clear hoses in the hull.

One is the battery vent hose, and connects to the vent nipple on your battery, if you have an old school lead-acid battery. The recommended (by me) factory sealed AGM type batteries don't have a vent, so that vent hose just gets set aside.

The other clear hose runs from the MFD to the speedo nipple directly under the drive shaft. You may need a small mirror to see it down there.

+1
    Thanks I will have a look. I replaced both the ski batteries with AGM from interstate when I got them 2 months ago. So I mite be getting the two hoses mixed up.

Thanks once more.

+1
    Any thinking on this below?
    When I first start it up does not matter if engine is hot or not. if I just gun it, it will die never gets over 2k rpms. If I play with the gas it will get over the 2k rpm and then I can gun it. Once I get over it once it will work everytime when I gun it. some times it like to bog a little but will go. both low end screws are set at 1 3/4 turn. Idles at 1550-1600 tops out at 6560-6620 rpm's. Runs great otherwise.

I will adjust the idle down a little. 1500 good or lower? I know my seadoo will not crank in water if it lower then 1600. so It is set at 1650-1700

I did find both clear lines. the hose for the speed looks good could not find and leaks/cracks. they have it in a bad place. hose like makes a 90degree trun at nipple under the shaft. Looked under ski see like white plastic peace hanging down with a small hole on it. I take this is the part of it. I been looking for pictures online to see it my is broke. Look like something been broken or it just worn on the bottom.

I have taken the pictures 2 days ago but have yet had time to download them so I can post them. Should have time this afternoon.

Thanks,
    Baron

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by barondurden View Post
    ...the hose for the speedometer looks good could not find and leaks/cracks. they have it in a bad place. hose like makes a 90degree trun at nipple under the shaft.

Looked under ski see like white plastic peace hanging down with a small hole on it. I take this is the part of it. I have been looking for pictures online to see it my is broke. Look like something been broken or it just worn on the bottom...
    You can find photos of the pitot on Greenhulk

+1
    Here is picture of oil pump.

I also adjuested the idle and have it at 1200 rpm starts up evertime. Still have the stall problem from 2k to 3k rpms. any ideas on how to fix that.

+1
    It bogg's or stall's at take off ?
    Make sure your fuel pressure is good,make sure the carbs are still synchronized (open even)other wise turn the low screws out 1/8 turn till it goes away.

+1
    at take off. does not mattter if you foor it or try to push slow stall everytime. but if you play with the throttle by quickly mashing it let go mash it once more it will go past the stall.

Thread Information