$150 audio setup that you can hear at 65 mph!

i was dead set on putting a stereo on my new ski, and after reading some threads and the reviews, i didn't see anything that i really wanted to do. i started looking at motorcycle audio setups, but was worried that they might not get loud enough to hear above 50-55 mph, so i figured the best route would be to double up on speakers and get a bigger amp than most of the kits came with. i decided on shark audio components because they were cheap and fit the bill pretty well. i picked up two sets of speakers and one two channel amp. i wired the speakers in parallel for a 2 ohm load, so the amp is capable of putting out 110 watts per side. the speakers are 100% waterproof and easy to install just by drilling a few holes in the ski, which can be easily patched, if i ever remove them.

i got two sets of these speakers, which come with brackets that only have one hole in them, so drill out a second hole to secure them better:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-100-watt-3-5...item3a5851d8e6

and this amp tucks in the front side storage pretty well at an angle and i secured it with two screws:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTORCYCLE-SPORT...item3a573ed434

i've got a mono amp and two 6.5" subs that are going in there next, but not until i get two new batteries and an isolator. i don't want to get stuck, lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0342 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	213351  

Quote Originally Posted by got wake? View Post
    i was dead set on putting a stereo on my new ski, and after reading some threads and the reviews, i didn't see anything that i really wanted to do. i started looking at motorcycle audio setups, but was worried that they might not get loud enough to hear above 50-55 mph, so i figured the best route would be to double up on speakers and get a bigger amp than most of the kits came with. i decided on shark audio components because they were cheap and fit the bill pretty well. i picked up two sets of speakers and one two channel amp. i wired the speakers in parallel for a 2 ohm load, so the amp is capable of putting out 110 watts per side. the speakers are 100% waterproof and easy to install just by drilling a few holes in the ski, which can be easily patched, if i ever remove them.

i got two sets of these speakers, which come with brackets that only have one hole in them, so drill out a second hole to secure them better:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-100-watt-3-5...item3a5851d8e6

and this amp tucks in the front side storage pretty well at an angle and i secured it with two screws:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTORCYCLE-SPORT...item3a573ed434

i've got a mono amp and two 6.5" subs that are going in there next, but not until i get two new batteries and an isolator. i don't want to get stuck, lol.
    I can vouch for a similar system. I purchased the kit from gooddeals18.com. I have had issues keeping water away from the amp though. My latest install included a battery box to house both the battery and the amp. It worked well for about 2 days. Unfortunately I had the hood open and the top to the battery box off while my brother and I were parked at a dock. He was parked in front of me. He mistakingly took off and a wall of water crashed over the hood of my ski and directly onto the amp. It worked for the rest of the day, but now it sounds like crap. I need a new amp, this will be the third amp. Music on the water on a jet ski is kind of a novelty, but I sure do enjoy it while it lasts. I think that the batter box would work through the chop, hitting big waves, taking the nose of the seadoo under water, etc. It definitely doesn't work when the top is off and and someone dumps a bunch of water on the amp though. If you decide to go this route I can post some pics to show you what I have done and where/how I mounted everything.

If your serious about audio, probibly the most bomb proof way to add audio to a ski would be with a poly planar mz-100 amp. It can take input directly from a headphone output, is completely waterproof, and actually has good sound quality. I am using one in my FJ40, i wanted a waterproof sterio that i could take offroading but did not want to add a headunit, wanted to keep the interior looking stock, so i just run it off my ipod or iphone directly...

Its also a very small unit, coming in at 4 1/8 x 6 1/8 x 1 1/2...
    http://www.polyplanar.com/productsingle.aspx?prt=MZ-100

poly planar also makes a ton of different waterproof speakers...

Thread Information