Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

polaris sl750 round mfd unit

i have one of these but the display is very weak. is there a way of correcting this?

i have 3 of these mfd but only one is fully working. i know one of the others was working fine until i broke it. i cut it open to see things inside.

can the lcd screens be changed over?

any help or links would be very helpful.

thanks jason

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The round MFD are hard to repair.

You MAY be able to get the conductive rubber strips behind the LCD screen to make better contact, but they are tricky to work with.

yeah i seen that from your link, but i wonder the one i cut apart. what holds the conductive strip in place? or is it just the pressure of the casing as it seemed to be glued when i removed it last time. i dont want to break the one that is working as well.

The conductive strips (2) slide into channels at the top and bottom of the LCD. The circuit board holds the conductive strips in place after the 4 screws that hold the circuit board in place are installed.

The conductive strips are not glued in place. It seems like they are but they peel off easily. They probably stick there due to age. Be very careful as they are delicate.

I cleaned the contacts on the LCD and circuit board with 70% alcohol placed on a lint free cloth. I also cleaned the conductive portion of the strips with a very small amount of alcohol again placed on the lint free cloth, DO NOT POUR DIRECTLY ON THE CONDUCTIVE STRIP. Clean very gently, a couple of swipes across the strip (both ends) should be sufficient. I used alcohol as it dries quickly and leave no residue.

I followed K447 thread on opening the case. It is very important to not cut the case further than 2mm as he suggested. If you cut more that 2 to 3mm from the end you will probably cut into the circuit board. I also used a Dremel tool and it worked very well.

The digits on my display were very weak. Some segments were not there. After cleaning, all segments were nice and black. Can't wait to get the MFD back on the Ski. (1995 SLT750).

I have another round MFD with the same problem and will tackle that one this winter.

Thanks to K447 for his excellent threads on this subject.
    Last edited by K447; 04-28-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    We are gonna need pics of this thing. I have a round MFD that has some faded digits that I would love to repair. Not sure I trust myself that much though after I messed up an oval MFD by cutting through the ribbons for the buttons!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5pm View Post
    The conductive strips (2) slide into channels at the top and bottom of the LCD. The circuit board holds the conductive strips in place after the 4 screws that hold the circuit board in place are installed.

The conductive strips are not glued in place. It seems like they are but they peel off easily. They probably stick there due to age. Be very careful as they are delicate.

I cleaned the contacts on the LCD and circuit board with 70% alcohol placed on a lint free cloth. I also cleaned the conductive portion of the strips with a very small amount of alcohol again placed on the lint free cloth, DO NOT POUR DIRECTLY ON THE CONDUCTIVE STRIP. Clean very gently. a couple of swipes across the strip (both ends) should be sufficient. I used alcohol as it dries quickly and leave no residue.

I followed K447 thread on opening the case. It is very important to not cut the case further than 2mm as he suggested. If you cut more that 2 to 3mm from the end you will probably cut into the circuit board. I also used a Dremel tool and it worked very well.

The digits on my display were very weak. Some segments were not there. After cleaning, all segments were nice and black. Can't wait to get the MFD back on the Ski. (1995 SLT750).

I have another round MFD with the same problem and will tackle that one this winter.

Thanks to K447 for his excellent threads on this subject.
    Always good to see others making use of the posted info

Do you have any photos to go along with your comments?
    This was for a round MFD display - correct?

Is one of these the thread you were referring to?
    How to cut open a round MFD display

***if you are planning on repairing MFD READ THIS***

I have not sealed the MFD yet. I'll try to take pictures of the components later this morning. My camera is not that great. Yes I am referring to a round MFD and yes I referred to both of the Threads you mentioned plus many other threads on the subject on this great forum.
    Ken

Pictures of Round MFD cut open

attached are the pictures of the round MFD that I just repaired.
    note the position of the ribbon cable which is located below the
    mode and set buttons.
    Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-Case cut open.jpg 
Views:	1140 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	214949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-Connectors removed.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	214952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-Note location of ribbon cable to housing.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	214951   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-Circuit board removed.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	214950   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-LCD removed.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	214953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6-Repaired display.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	214954  

Just finished repair on my other round MFD. Much easier this time and it works great.
    As an added note, before you seal the unit make sure that the ribbon cable from the mode and set buttons is completely inserted into the connector on the printed circuit board. It could easly become disconnected while repairing the MFD.
    Ken

+1
    Excellent updates

As others can clearly see there is almost no room for error when cutting the round MFD case open. The ribbon cable is right there and lots of other fragile parts are positioned around the circuit board edges.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information