Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why? Why? Why? RA1100 Rear Oil Seal BLOWN AGAIN?!?!

I just replaced a blown rear oil seal this spring on my '95 Yamaha Waveraider 1100 before riding this summer. Got to ride a total of about 10 hours with the new seal, and now it seems to have blown again!! I am SURE that the seal was put in the right way.

So, aside from having the seal put in wrong/backwards, why would a rear oil seal blow after only 10 hours of riding? I am hesitant to even try to replace the damn thing again for fear that it will just blow out again. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Thanks!

+1
    1. Did you know that the OEM yamaha service manual picture tells you to install it backwards and there was an update paper due to that? Are you sure you put it in correct?
    2. If you keep blowing it out...do you have any backfires...and or water injested ?
    3. If you crank is going bad...it was pull the seal out....are you sure your crank is up to par?
    4. Using a quality sealer..and placing a very small amount around the seal to hold it in place...?
    5. inner lip covered in grease upon install ...any sharp edges, rust etc on the seal section?

One of the above Jason is your issue....

Mike

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Ohhhh, yes! I just LOVE riddles! hee hee....

"5. inner lip covered in grease upon install"

Sonnofa...

Mpeavler - you're good!

This is the one thing I/we forgot to do when we put the seal on. I caught it in the Clymer manual after we had the engine 1/2 way back together, and I guess I just hoped that it would be OK, because I really didn't feel like taking the whole thing apart again. I wanted to see what the replies would be before I mentioned anything, because I wanted to see what else, if anything, would cause this, I guess...

I assume regular marine grease will work on the seal?

While we're on the topic, does the Clymer manual have the correct description on how to install these seals, or does it tell you to install them backwards as well? Considering that I am probably going to tear this thing down again, I guess I might as well ask. Though, I am 99.999% sure it was installed correctly, because it was installed the same way that the original seal (I am pretty sure it was the original) came off when we replaced it.

THANK YOU very much Mpeavler!!

+1
    Its easy 3 seals 2 big one's 1 small one.Small one on the front tabs out big one on the outer rear tabs out and #3 with no tabs goes on the inner rear.I use 1211 on the c/cases including the groove the seals go in.I use walmart marine grease on the inner seal surface.Easy on the 1211 a little goes a long way.

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    Is it a OE Yamaha seal that you used?

It was a (seal) kit I bought off of ebay with just about everything in it for the engine. Why do you ask?

+1
    ONLY use OEM seals....

Is Riva the best/cheapest place to get them from? Since I am going to be tearing this thing down again, is there any reason at all that I should also replace the front oil seal as well since I will have it all apart, or should I just leave it alone? It is only the rear seal giving me problems.

Also, I am thinking I am going to put new piston rings on as well. Is there any reason that I can't get new piston rings off of ebay or should they be from Riva/OEM as well?

Thanks Much!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jasond32 View Post
    Is Riva the best/cheapest place to get them from? Since I am going to be tearing this thing down again, is there any reason at all that I should also replace the front oil seal as well since I will have it all apart, or should I just leave it alone? It is only the rear seal giving me problems.

Also, I am thinking I am going to put new piston rings on as well. Is there any reason that I can't get new piston rings off of ebay or should they be from Riva/OEM as well?

Thanks Much!

There or boats.net is a good priced location. I would change all the seals with OEM ones while your there... Rings...how fresh is the engine? If it has 100 hours or more...I would do a slight hone and new rings if it were me...

M

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information