Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moderated

advice on cleaning ski's after salt water use

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can give me some sound advice on how to look after my ski after use in salt water.

I have been flushing it after each use and spraying some of the parts with a oil solution that is suposed to protect from water but i am unsure if there is anything else i should be doing like should i wash the motor down after use before spraying it or stuff like that.

i am very new to this so please forgive the question if it sounds stupid, i just want to look after my ski correctly and figured the members here were the best people to ask.

thanks ina dvance.

+1
    salt away, salt terminator

100% of my riding is in salt water,all i do is flush the ski after use,wash ski and trailer with soapy water and spray silicone spray in the engine bay and over all wiring,my ski still looks brand new

flush with fresh water, wash down with water and soap, and i use CRC 656 silicone spray, its the best stuff

+1

I recommend buying CRC 6-56 in a gallon jug online. Then just put it in a spray bottle. I used a cheap WD-40 bottle that I got from Walmart. It's way cheaper than buying CRC or Yamalube in an aerosol can, and it puts out a nice mist that you can coat your whole engine bay with.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000AY2HN

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ntifier=202687

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States

Quote Originally Posted by capndik View Post
    I recommend buying CRC 6-56 in a gallon jug online. Then just put it in a spray bottle. I used a cheap WD-40 bottle that I got from Walmart. It's way cheaper than buying CRC or Yamalube in an aerosol can, and it puts out a nice mist that you can coat your whole engine bay with.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000AY2HN

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ntifier=202687
    Wow that's a good price and idea didn't know they sell like that .....probably 20 aerosol cans worth in tht jug if not more.

Just flush everything down(lightly spray) around electronics boxes etc and then coat with a spray that does not contain petroleum. Tends to harden rubber and wire covers over time. A lot of people love fluid film but its expensive compared to the crc stuff since its harder to find locally. I also spray water up through my intake grate and then from the nozzle inward and then coat linkages reverse buckets etc with a film.

+1
    Ive had good luck with Fluid Film. Spray engine compartment, pump area, handlebars...anything once, stays protected. Stuff is amazing

+1

Quote Originally Posted by pokplalya22 View Post
    Ive had good luck with Fluid Film. Spray engine compartment, pump area, handlebars...anything once, stays protected. Stuff is amazing
    Our skis were stolen a couple weeks ago, so we're starting fresh with a new pair. I'm considering switching to fluid film. I really wish their gallon container was a jug, and not a damn paint bucket! Yeah, THAT'S what I want to pour into a spray bottle spout!! A friggin paint can!!

Quote Originally Posted by joeblo View Post
    100% of my riding is in salt water,all i do is flush the ski after use,wash ski and trailer with soapy water and spray silicone spray in the engine bay and over all wiring,my ski still looks brand new
    This! I still have the ski I rode while growing up and it was 100% salt water use. I just did a semi rebuild to freshen it up......everything was cake to get off and still looked in great condition. Which says a lot for a 16 yr old ski used completely in salt water.....up until this year.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by capndik View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pokplalya22 View Post
    Our skis were stolen a couple weeks ago, so we're starting fresh with a new pair. I'm considering switching to fluid film. I really wish their gallon container was a jug, and not a damn paint bucket! Yeah, THAT'S what I want to pour into a spray bottle spout!! A friggin paint can!!

Check around, (ebay and Amazon) I got a six pack of spray cans for a reasonable price. It goes a long way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information