Starter relay or starter ... and where is the starter?

Hey everyone.

First post ... but, have been reading for several years.

I have a 2002 Honda Aquatrax F12x.

I think I may have the common starter relay issue ... however, my relay will click for a few times and then the starter will finally engage. Of course this is more the case with the spark plugs pulled out to help reduce the drag. So, I'm just trying to figure out if the load issue is more relay related ... or starter?

Also, I can find the relay with ease ... but, can someone please tell me (or show me in a picture) where the starter is located?

Thanks for any assistance.

+1
    The starter is on the front left side of the engine underneath and just in front of the sub air box. Your problem is more likely either a relay in the bottom rear electrical box, the main relay which is outside of the main box, just behind it, or a corroded terminal. It is rare for Honda starters to fail like the Yamahas do.

Thanks JRINJAX. I'll keep digging into it. I'm probably going to order the relay next and go from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    The starter is on the front left side of the engine underneath and just in front of the sub air box. Your problem is more likely either a relay in the bottom rear electrical box, the main relay which is outside of the main box, just behind it, or a corroded terminal. It is rare for Honda starters to fail like the Yamahas do.

I'm sort of in the same boat. My F-12X is dead. Only has probably 25 hours. Battery replaced with new and fuse is good. I can hear the motor electrics power up but the starter does not turn, click or anything. What does the Honda shop manual say about diagnosing this issue? Is there a factory recommended relay test or just replace it? And a test for the starter short of removing it for a bench test?

If I had a shop manual I could probably save everyone the trouble. Any help plus a link to a manual .pdf would be great as the closest Honda Dealership is Vegas or Phoenix. This is nearly a 400 mile round trip and then the probability of it staying a day or two means I will too or do another round trip for the pick up.

Any help would be appreciated.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in Havasu View Post
    If I had a shop manual I could probably save everyone the trouble. Any help plus a link to a manual

Go to www.helminc.com for a factory manual

Shawn

Click below

http://www.helminc.com/helm/search_s...&class%5F2=AHC

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in Havasu View Post
    I'm sort of in the same boat. My F-12X is dead. Only has probably 25 hours. Battery replaced with new and fuse is good. I can hear the motor electrics power up but the starter does not turn, click or anything. What does the Honda shop manual say about diagnosing this issue? Is there a factory recommended relay test or just replace it? And a test for the starter short of removing it for a bench test?

If I had a shop manual I could probably save everyone the trouble. Any help plus a link to a manual .pdf would be great as the closest Honda Dealership is Vegas or Phoenix. This is nearly a 400 mile round trip and then the probability of it staying a day or two means I will too or do another round trip for the pick up.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Order a new Main Relay from Honda of East Toledo and change it. It is mounted outside of the big black electrical box in the bottom rear of the engine bay. The relay is to the left and behind the electrical box. The red connector is a real pain to unclip to remove it. It is much better than a 400 mile trip.

You can test for a bad relay by removing it and jumping the terminals.

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post

Well ... my issue was that I didn't realize you were referencing 2 different relays. One is INSIDE ("SWITCH ASSY., STARTER MAGNETIC") the box and the other is OUTSIDE the box ("RELAY ASSY., MAIN") . I pulled the one from inside the box (haven't 'tested' it yet) and presumed the part I ordered was the same one. It isn't. I ordered the one for the 'outside' of the black box.

So ... I'm going to try and test the one I pulled from inside the black box. If it tests 'good' then I'm going to install the MAIN relay I purchased and HOPE it is the solution.

I can see why this is a common question among so many forums because even when I searched no one is responding with the Honda specified terms for identifying the parts. I'm going to attempt to write up a proper DIY/FYI thread to help reduce this confusion once I'm done trouble-shooting mine.

+1
    The one inside the box is just a normal solenoid but the other one (the one you ordered) is the main relay and is the most common to fail. Both have to function for the ski to start but I have never heard of the “magnetic” one to fail on a Honda. Just install your new “main” relay and I think your problem will be solved.

2005 Honda F-12x. Solenoid problem???

I am looking at buying a 2005 Honda F-12x. The guy said it needs a solenoid. Says he hits start button and it just clicks. I wasn't sure if the solenoid would cause this. I think sounds like a ground issue unless the motor is locked up. It has only 139 hours so I wouldn't think it is a motor problem. Any tips or tricks I should try on the ski before I buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by thomasdjames1 View Post
    The one inside the box is just a normal solenoid but the other one (the one you ordered) is the main relay and is the most common to fail. Both have to function for the ski to start but I have never heard of the “magnetic” one to fail on a Honda. Just install your new “main” relay and I think your problem will be solved.

Thread Information