Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

More pump problems!

I switched my pump out one more time to try and get in a ride or two before I have to winterize and everything seemed fine....at first.

I last was out on the lake with my pump installed with the stock 371 impeller on it and all was well. Good day out on the water. I know I am not going to make it up to the lake anymore this season so I decided to put the pump back in with the Solas impeller installed because it seems better in the river as far as weeds and such go. (I had this pump installed four weeks ago with no problems at all.)

Anyway I threw the Solas back in last week and ran it on the trailer and everything seemed okay. I had not run the ski since then so I started her up today because I was thinking of going out on the river Friday. Long story short, I start it up and everything seems well and then I shut it down and hear a metal to metal noise coming from the pump. I take a look in there and I see some metal flakes (not much, just some dust) on the right side of the extension and the tip of the impeller. I then have my brother bump the engine a couple of times and see that the impeller is definitely making contact with the extension slightly on one side.

I haven't pulled it yet, I guess I will do it tomorrow but I can't understand how this happened. It definitely was not making contact when I put it in there and had .007 clearance. The long bolts are still torqued to 18 1/2 lbs. Right now it looks as if the extension shifted just slightly but I would think that would have happened as soon as I cranked it over the first time a week ago.

It doesn't look like there is too much damage and that impeller was brand new out of the box when I installed it the first time. It was still pristine when I changed it out.

This short story ended up being a long one didn't it?

+1
    The wear ring is aluminum sleeved with stainless and they will blister with corrosion. Very common problem if the ski sits around.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    The wear ring is aluminum sleeved with stainless and they will blister with corrosion. Very common problem if the ski sits around.
    So you think it went a little egg shaped on me Beer? The ring had been just sitting in the ski for four years before I got it but it was never in the water prior. It did see some salt water action this year.

I am going to look in there with a borsescope before I pull it out. If it is just up on that one corner it is probably blistered as you describe. It is just enough to make a noise when starting and shuting down. There doesn't seem to be much material coming off at all.

Get ready for a stupid question:

Can I get a few rides out of it without damaging my impeller or should I just pull the pump out now and worry about rides next year?

+1
    Its hard to say without inspection. I would pull the pump and inspect then decide it should make year end with a little sanding.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Yeah, sounds like you're starting to get a "blister".

There's some EXTREME cases of it posted on here somewhere. Maybe Beerdart remebers where 1 was? (I searched and found no pics)

That salt water is a beotch....

Maybe see about a SS extension/wear ring and never have to worry about that again.

Sand it down a little and ride it till winter storage.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Yeah, sounds like you're starting to get a "blister".

There's some EXTREME cases of it posted on here somewhere. Maybe Beerdart remebers where 1 was? (I searched and found no pics)

That salt water is a beotch....

Maybe see about a SS extension/wear ring and never have to worry about that again.

Sand it down a little and ride it till winter storage.
    I will try to pull it tomorrow and check it out. Thanks guys. You know I could have grabbed a stainless ring back in July and I didn't take it because it was on fleabay. I should have spent the seventy bucks.

If I pull it tomorrow I will post some pics.

+1
    This is one instance I suggest ride more worry less. (end of the season)

There's 6 months of crap weather to get the ski ready for next year.

This is one instance I suggest ride more worry less. (end of the season)

There's 6 months of crap weather to get the ski ready for next year.
    I was thinking that also, but will I risk damaging my impeller or will it just shave the ring a little in that corner? It only grabs a little when I start it and shut it down. I have pulled the pump out so many times in the last three months that is has become second nature so it is no big deal to pull it out and sand it a little tonight but it is not something that I am looking forward to.

I am going to be in the river for the rest of the season and there are some weeds on the way out and on the way back (near the Meadowlands) in to the ramp that are unavoidable. Even at slow speeds that Solas impeller chops them up fine and I just have to rinse my grate a little after the ride. I will look for a stainless ring over the winter.

After this the only original part of my drive system will be the reverse gate.

+1
    The impeller edges will get "sanded" if you will. But it prob already has if it's been contacting the ring.

Impeller refurbish costs around $70 to do. You can have it done over winter and have it "new" for next season.

The impeller edges will get "sanded" if you will. But it prob already has if it's been contacting the ring.

Impeller refurbish costs around $70 to do. You can have it done over winter and have it "new" for next season.
    Yeah....I didn't get a chance to take the pump out today so I am just going to try and run it Saturday and pull it out later on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information