Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Fuel Question on SC 215 model: 87octane okay? My RPMs are being limited.

Just got a used GTX SC model yesterday, pretty great condition with 08 SC rebuild kit installed. Anyways, after using most of the fuel that was left in the ski when I got it (91 octane), I filled it with 87.

Today, with my dad driving in the river with me riding, we hit 64mph. About an hour later, I couldnt' break 40mph on it by myself, and going from 30-40 took a long time. I tried using each key multiple times (one is supposed to be learner, other full speed). Then when my dad drove it with me on the back, he says it hit 50.

Is the 87 octane causing this much trouble? There's no hard acceleration like there was before.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    you can run 89 on it but 87 is just asking for trouble, that could be the cause that is running crappy, get rid of the 87 add a few gallons of premium and see what she does, if she takes it, try 89 it should do fine with it.

+1
    Yeah, these skis are made to run the higher octane pump gas. Just hope that it's just your gas and not anything else like your supercharger.

Quote Originally Posted by andisblue View Post
    Just got a used GTX SC model yesterday, pretty great condition with 08 SC rebuild kit installed. Anyways, after using most of the fuel that was left in the ski when I got it (91 octane), I filled it with 87.

Today, with my dad driving in the river with me riding, we hit 64mph. About an hour later, I couldnt' break 40mph on it by myself, and going from 30-40 took a long time. I tried using each key multiple times (one is supposed to be learner, other full speed). Then when my dad drove it with me on the back, he says it hit 50.

Is the 87 octane causing this much trouble? There's no hard acceleration like there was before.
    More than likely a supercharger problem, 87 octane will not cause a stock ski to run that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by RXP6 View Post
    More than likely a supercharger problem, 87 octane will not cause a stock ski to run that bad.
    +1. Check your S/C. Also check for boost leaks.

These posts are scaring me! I JUST got the thing the day before. I really hope it's the gas. Dad wants to try to add octane booster to the fuel tank.

How would I go about checking for boost leaks or checking the supercharger? (I'd guess it'd be in a sticky, but what specifically am I looking for). Remember that I am BRAND new to skis.

Thanks,
    Corey

+1
    Pull off your sc intake hose and see if your sc impeller spins. Check all the hoses etc.

We siphoned 99% of the gas out, and filled it up with 93 pump gas from the same gas station. Took it back out to the river.

-Ran up the river hitting max of 55, but getting to that fairly slowly
    -Got to the big area where we cut and do donuts, did a few sharp turns/donuts
    -Ski lost all performance immediately after a few sharp turns ("spinning out" type stuff), and would only accelerate to 20mph, and slowly climb to 30 max
    -Shut it down for about 10 minutes, started heading back down river
    -The ski was pulsing at 30mph, like rrRRRooowwrrrRRoow as if i was varying the throttle
    -Shut it down for 10 minutes
    -(At this point my dad theorized it could be water in the fuel, and maybe the sharp turns were mixing it into the fuel)
    - I ran up and down the river by myself, maxing about49/50 about 6280 rpms (WoT)
    - Dad got on, and we went to the big area, did some donuts, and after like 2 turns
    - Ski lost all it's performance, and now wouldn't accelerate past 6mph (SIX!)
    - if you try to go faster, it makes this clunk sound and you feel it (misfire my dad says)
    - this went on for 5 minutes, no improvement varying throttle to it
    - shutdown for 2 minutes, started up, ran ~45mph WoT back to the boat ramp(no clunk sounds)

Original fuel from previous owner -> 64mph, IMPRESSIVE power, gotta hold on tight
    87 & 93 Octane from "John's Country Junction" -> Ski performs horribly. Even when it does get up to 50, it takes a while and doesn't pull your arms off like it did 2 days ago.

SO, it seems like the shaking the craft around causes this to happen. Do these symptoms have any clear indication? I just parked it into the garage and we're going to look around. I will try to turn the SC impeller after I look up where that is.

I really appreciate the input you guys give since I'm clueless

Sounds like a Supercharger problem to me!

+1
    Its a shame you keep driving it around if it is the supercharger. It only takes 5 min to check thats including finding a flat head screw driver

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information