Engine Compartment Heat: Wiring in an Attwood 4000 blower

My engine compartment is getting way too hot, affecting performance and killing an amp I have in there, so I got an Attwood blower fan. My boat already has the stock gas vapor blower on one side, attached to a switch on the dash. Iím going to install this Attwood blower on the other side (near the batteries), and I want it to be controlled by the same switch.

Does anyone know the configuration to wire this blower so it is controlled by the same switch? I want to make sure itís able to run at full power, and am concerned about two blowers on the same circuit. Like I said, itís next to the battery, so I could run power directly from there, but need it to turn on and off with the existing dash blower switch.

I found an example of household wiring, below, but itís not perfectly clear to me.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	213489  

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    My engine compartment is getting way too hot, affecting performance and killing an amp I have in there, so I got an Attwood blower fan. My boat already has the stock gas vapor blower on one side, attached to a switch on the dash. I’m going to install this Attwood blower on the other side (near the batteries), and I want it to be controlled by the same switch.

Does anyone know the configuration to wire this blower so it is controlled by the same switch? I want to make sure it’s able to run at full power, and am concerned about two blowers on the same circuit. Like I said, it’s next to the battery, so I could run power directly from there, but need it to turn on and off with the existing dash blower switch.

I found an example of household wiring, below, but it’s not perfectly clear to me.

Thanks!
    I would recommend using a relay to power the second blower, and use the power circuit going from the switch to the existing blower to activate the relay, and the power to the relay could come from a seperate fused circuit either from the fuse panel or directly off the battery. That way, your load on the existing switch would remain the same and the extra load is on the relay. The downside is that if you only wanted the attwood blower on, both blowers would be running all the time the switch is on. Instead, you could activate the relay from an ignition wiring source so that the fan runs when the ignition is on and automatically turns off with the ignition. There are several threads here that have illustrations on how to wire relays. Basically, there are 4 terminals on a relay, 85-86-87-30. The 85 terminal is connected to your "trigger" circuit and 86 to ground. 87 is connected to battery (fused). 30 goes to the blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevtec324 View Post
    I would recommend using a relay to power the second blower, and use the power circuit going from the switch to the existing blower to activate the relay, and the power to the relay could come from a seperate fused circuit either from the fuse panel or directly off the battery. That way, your load on the existing switch would remain the same and the extra load is on the relay. The downside is that if you only wanted the attwood blower on, both blowers would be running all the time the switch is on. Instead, you could activate the relay from an ignition wiring source so that the fan runs when the ignition is on and automatically turns off with the ignition. There are several threads here that have illustrations on how to wire relays. Basically, there are 4 terminals on a relay, 85-86-87-30. The 85 terminal is connected to your "trigger" circuit and 86 to ground. 87 is connected to battery (fused). 30 goes to the blower.
    Great information, that's what I'll do; thanks.

Thread Information