Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1990 gt seadoo just died

my ski was runing fine! then just quit. i have spark. so i poured a little gas in both carbs and it would not start. i have new battery in it. so i tried pulling carbs to check filter. but had to pull off rotary valve cover to remove carbs. of course r/v disc came off shaft! so i tried turning engine over and shaft did not turn. i am new to this and need help. do i need to pull engine and check gear on r/v shaft? or is it just a fuel problem ? cause since checking fuel lines looking for fuel pump , filter housing outlet had crack on it.also how do you time r/v valve disc since it fell off ? HELP!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by budwrd View Post
    my ski was runing fine! then just quit. i have spark. so i poured a little gas in both carbs and it would not start. i have new battery in it. so i tried pulling carbs to check filter. but had to pull off rotary valve cover to remove carbs. of course r/v disc came off shaft! so i tried turning engine over and shaft did not turn. i am new to this and need help. do i need to pull engine and check gear on r/v shaft? or is it just a fuel problem ? cause since checking fuel lines looking for fuel pump , filter housing outlet had crack on it.also how do you time r/v valve disc since it fell off ? HELP!!!
    if the RV shaft does not turn when you turn the crankshaft then your brass gear is probably stripped inside the engine and it needs to be replaced.

+1

+1
    two ways you can do it.

right way- pull the motor and flip it upside down. remove the bottom case, pull the RV shaft out with a puller. clean cases, change gear out and reasmble.

easy way- pull the RV shaft out while motor is still in the boat, use a small tube and a shop-vac to get most of the shavings out, change gear, put the shaft back in while turning the pto to allow the gears to mesh up.

up to you how you want to do it.

+1
    The "right" way would be to dissassemble the whole motor & determine what caused the RV to strip out....

1990 gt seadoo just died

Quote Originally Posted by water worx View Post
    The "right" way would be to dissassemble the whole motor & determine what caused the RV to strip out....
    thanks for your input!

1990 gt seadoo just died

Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    two ways you can do it.

right way- pull the motor and flip it upside down. remove the bottom case, pull the RV shaft out with a puller. clean cases, change gear out and reasmble.

easy way- pull the RV shaft out while motor is still in the boat, use a small tube and a shop-vac to get most of the shavings out, change gear, put the shaft back in while turning the pto to allow the gears to mesh up.

up to you how you want to do it.
    thanks!

thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    if the RV shaft does not turn when you turn the crankshaft then your brass gear is probably stripped inside the engine and it needs to be replaced.
    thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information