I chickened out in Hurricane Katrina

Even though the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed by the night before, it was still too rough on the ocean for me. I figured I may be able to take advantage of some good sized waves.

The feeder bands were still making squally weather but I decided I didn't care. I went with my RXP and a buddy on an RXT. He had the day off because of the storm and I own my own business so I can take time when I want.

We went to a boat ramp on the intercoastal (which was empty and no parked trailers either) . Once we got to the inlet we started to go out and huge waves 10 to 13 feet were crashing over the jetti. We both thought it would be a wise (but chicken) decision to just spend our time on the intercoastal.

It think it may have been different if the waves were steady but it was more like a washing machine out there.

So we spent a couple hours riding the intercoastal in the on and off rain. I flew off my ski and my right butt cheek is killing me! I thought I didn't need sunscreen because it was rainy and cloudy. WRONG! I got burnt anyway. There were no other boaters out and we had the place to ourselves.

We had a ball!

The most interesting man in the world. Nils888's Avatar
    +1
    Cool

sounds kinda cool..

i was just there like 2 weeks ago, and was thinking about what the hurricane was doing to that ocean

so was going out into the ocean not even a thought?

oh yeah it was definately a thought. I wanted to go but once I actually was on the ski and in the inlet and saw what was going on, I knew it was too dangerous. There was no one else riding out there either.

I consider myself an intermediate rider. I think that even an expert would have given it another thought.

Anyway, I went out with my wife the next day and it was about 6 foot seas. We went to the inlet looked around and we did venture out in that and it was a blast! THere were others out there as well. I could have handled a bit bigger waves and so could my wife, but that was enough for me. She is very athletic and a good rider.

Big difference besides the wave hieght was the way the waves were behaving. It was not one big swirling angry mess.

We were out for a couple of hours. We rode the wave for about 20 minutes then came into the inlet to the intercoastal and went fast for a while. Pulled up to a restuarant for lunch and went back out to the ocean again for another half an hour or so.

I could have stayed out longer but the babysitter's time was up.

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    oh yeah it was definately a thought. I wanted to go but once I actually was on the ski and in the inlet and saw what was going on, I knew it was too dangerous. There was no one else riding out there either.

I consider myself an intermediate rider. I think that even an expert would have given it another thought.

Anyway, I went out with my wife the next day and it was about 6 foot seas. We went to the inlet looked around and we did venture out in that and it was a blast! THere were others out there as well. I could have handled a bit bigger waves and so could my wife, but that was enough for me. She is very athletic and a good rider.

Big difference besides the wave hieght was the way the waves were behaving. It was not one big swirling angry mess.

We were out for a couple of hours. We rode the wave for about 20 minutes then came into the inlet to the intercoastal and went fast for a while. Pulled up to a restuarant for lunch and went back out to the ocean again for another half an hour or so.

I could have stayed out longer but the babysitter's time was up.

Wow, sounds like a fun time, i could only dream of going out into the ocean with those type on conditions........

Wish i could have been there ( though a 4 week vacation is a little long )

Which inlet did you try going through, boyton or the north one in palm beach?

I launched in at the Lake Worth Boat Ramp and went out Boynton. Had lunch at Two Georges.

Re: I chickened out in Hurricane Katrina

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    Even though the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed by the night before, it was still too rough on the ocean for me. I figured I may be able to take advantage of some good sized waves.

The feeder bands were still making squally weather but I decided I didn't care. I went with my RXP and a buddy on an RXT. He had the day off because of the storm and I own my own business so I can take time when I want.

We went to a boat ramp on the intercoastal (which was empty and no parked trailers either) . Once we got to the inlet we started to go out and huge waves 10 to 13 feet were crashing over the jetti. We both thought it would be a wise (but chicken) decision to just spend our time on the intercoastal.

It think it may have been different if the waves were steady but it was more like a washing machine out there.

So we spent a couple hours riding the intercoastal in the on and off rain. I flew off my ski and my right butt cheek is killing me! I thought I didn't need sunscreen because it was rainy and cloudy. WRONG! I got burnt anyway. There were no other boaters out and we had the place to ourselves.

We had a ball!
    Next time go out you will have a blast..... use too live in Alaska and when a storm would pass over we would go out in the gulf and tear it up with the dry suits on.. One time a crabber was going out he was in the trough and I was up top looking down at him pretty surreal how powerfull the Ocean is....just don't take it for granted....

Thread Information