Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dead battery

Dead battery

I usually take my skis out everyweek but this time it was a couple weeks as the weather was bad. But when i took it out the battery was completly dead. What is there to drain the battery on these? The battery is a oddessey pc625 and its only a month old. I got a jump to start it and then drove it for like 30 mins but when i shut it off it didnt start back up as i assume it was under 10.5 volts because it cranked just no start.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hartman View Post
    I usually take my skis out everyweek but this time it was a couple weeks as the weather was bad. But when i took it out the battery was completly dead. What is there to drain the battery on these? The battery is a oddessey pc625 and its only a month old. I got a jump to start it and then drove it for like 30 mins but when i shut it off it didnt start back up as i assume it was under 10.5 volts because it cranked just no start.
    I had the same problem too. Whenever I left the batteries in the skis for an extended period of time they would wind up dead as well and they are next to new. Best as I could figure it was the MFDs that were draining them. My solution was to remove them from the skis after use. Worked for me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 750sl View Post
    I had the same problem too. Whenever I left the batteries in the skis for an extended period of time they would wind up dead as well and they are next to new. Best as I could figure it was the MFDs that were draining them. My solution was to remove them from the skis after use. Worked for me.
    you can also add a quick disconnect to your battery cables. There at most auto parts places and on ebay. This will allow you to just simple disconnect the cables without having to take them off the battery itself. Just a thought

get a battery tender , solar powered . i have one on both of my skiis , and have never had an issue . i also have the quick dissconect on my sltx , they both work fine , but i prefer the solar power tender . cost like 15 bucks , and have all sorts of goodies to go with them !

The Domestic PVL ignition system used on the 900-1200 motors is an electrical nightmare. They will drain the battery if left for a few weeks. Some of the earlier versions had an issue where they wouldn't "go to sleep" like they were supposed to, which kept the CDI energized the whole time and drained the battery in a short time. Disconnect the battery or leave a battery tender on it.

+1
    Have you checked the charging voltage when running ? You should see 1 volt more than at rest batt voltage. Hopefully somewhere between 13.5 and 14.5v when charging .

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ...the battery was completely dead.

What is there to drain the battery on these?

The battery is a Odyssey PC625 and its only a month old...
    Do these two engines have the original ignition system, or the Updated Gen III Ignition System?

Has the CDI Red/Purple wire been moved to the Orange terminal, as outlined in Service Bulletin PWC-00-05?

What is the voltage on the Orange wire when the engine is not running?
    Should be very close to zero volts.

Does the MFD display work properly on both?
    Does the display go to sleep after five minutes of no activity?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    The Domestic PVL ignition system used on the 900-1200 motors is an electrical nightmare. They will drain the battery if left for a few weeks. Some of the earlier versions had an issue where they wouldn't "go to sleep" like they were supposed to, which kept the CDI energized the whole time and drained the battery in a short time...
    Are you talking about the original 1996-1999 domestic ignition systems only, or also including the Gen III and Update Kit ignitions?

I expect that implementing the PWC-00-05 Service Bulletin would solve the battery drain issue, as long as the LR voltage regulator module is working properly.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Are you talking about the original 1996-1999 domestic ignition systems only, or also including the Gen III and Update Kit ignitions?

I expect that implementing the PWC-00-05 Service Bulletin would solve the battery drain issue, as long as the LR voltage regulator module is working properly.
    Keith,

Yeah, I was primarily talking about the older systems, but the newer ones still aren't perfect. My Virage would drain the battery fairly low within a few weeks (forget the mA drain that I measured). The ski would still start, but not as easily as it would with a fresh charge. The fact that the ignition WON'T fire when the voltage drops below ~10.5, compounds the issue. I never have that issue with my GPR.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    ...My Virage would drain the battery fairly low within a few weeks (forget the mA drain that I measured)...
    Do you have the CDI power connected through the LR regulator's Orange terminal?

Does the Orange wire go to zero volts with the engine off?

I would be interested in the mA drain current you measured. Battery drain can only be from these three components (Carb domestic engine);
    LR module (which should shut itself down when the engine stops)
    CDI (which should be shut down by the LR module Orange output)
    MFI display (which should go into sleep mode after five minutes)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information