Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Running with GIO and AFR frequencies

I took out over an extra quart from my crankcase and it definitely has GIO. I dialed it in with the correct AFR readings when summer began. So my question is two-fold:

1) How safe is it to run with GIO?
    2) How often do I need to dial in the correct AFR readings?

It currently has Yamalube in it, but I normally run Amsoil.

I was told (by dealer) that GIO is common for the FZRs and not something to worry about but to also check for excessive oil levels.

Quote Originally Posted by tadam View Post
    I was told (by dealer) that GIO is common for the FZRs and not something to worry about but to also check for excessive oil levels.

+1
    are you running a cooling kit? did you remove your t-stat?

I'm running a R & D intercooler. I don't know if the mechanic removed the t-stat. Would that be a source of GIO?

+1
    ...Would that be a source of GIO?
    Yep. Pull your thermostat housing and check to see if your thermostat is in there. Will only take you a few minutes. IMO you need a thermostat in these ski's unless your water temp is hot.

Are you running an aftermarket cooling system? If you are (and you need to know this), you will need to install some ball valves so the extra cooling supplies don't over-pressurize your cooling system after installing the thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Yep. Pull your thermostat housing and check to see if your thermostat is in there. Will only take you a few minutes. IMO you need a thermostat in these ski's unless your water temp is hot.

Are you running an aftermarket cooling system? If you are (and you need to know this), you will need to install some ball valves so the extra cooling supplies don't over-pressurize your cooling system after installing the thermostat.
    Here's what I know......

In a supercharged setup, the pressurized intake will force the fuel past the rings creating the GIO syndrome. It's the nature of the beast. So the best preventative is to change the oil more frequently and to watch oil levels not to exceed more than a half of quart over the "full" mark on the dipstick.

Here's what I know......

In a supercharged setup, the pressurized intake will force the fuel past the rings creating the GIO syndrome. It's the nature of the beast. So the best preventative is to change the oil more frequently and to watch oil levels not to exceed more than a half of quart over the "full" mark on the dipstick.
    Arguably more important is to make sure the oil is reaching a proper (high enough) temperature which will significantly reduce or eliminate GIO completely. If you are running too much engine cooling and/or the oil never gets hot enough say hello to GIO and running oil too cool is not good for lubrication in various rpm scenario's anyway. To my knowledge there were never any reports of GIO on stock SHO (boosted) motors. Only once significant additional boost and cooling were added was GIO seen.

So it sound like the "damned if you do and damned if you don't" syndrome regarding the more efficient cooling system.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Arguably more important is to make sure the oil is reaching a proper (high enough) temperature which will significantly reduce or eliminate GIO completely. If you are running too much engine cooling and/or the oil never gets hot enough say hello to GIO and running oil too cool is not good for lubrication in various rpm scenario's anyway. To my knowledge there were never any reports of GIO on stock SHO (boosted) motors. Only once significant additional boost and cooling were added was GIO seen.

+1. Agreed. It is important that your engine is running at operating temps. GIO is not normal, adapting to it by frequent oil changes is the wrong approach. IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information