+1

greasing the driveshaft bearing

the bearing has two fittings with hoses attached. One has the zirk at the top, the other dead ends on a stop in the relay base.

It appears to me you can grease the one until grease flows out the other...like an overflow.

But when i look at the cross section in the manual, I dont see very well how that would flow thru the brg housing. Maybe it does. Maybe not. I dont want to blow out seals finding out.

Anyone had it apart and know for sure?

thanks
    Dave

I build Horsepower
    +1
    Dave,

The proper way to lube the drive shaft bearing is to simply put 2-3 pumps with a standard hand operated grease gun.

The extra hose you see is for factory use when new using a 55 gal air/hydraulic gun to prevent overriding the rear packing seal which would then displace grease out the intake gate.

The message here is to Not be aggressive when pumping grease in and take your time.

Shawn

+1
    thanks Shawn, thats what I've done. But I've wondered if it's enough. I'd rather the zirk be on the housing but I'll just stick with what you say.

Thanks for the great explanation...it's good to know why they have that other line on there.

how often are you supposed to grease this (and what else are you supposed to grease?)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slug420 View Post
    how often are you supposed to grease this (and what else are you supposed to grease?)
    There is a grease fitting just below the fire extingusher/tool kit tray when you remove it. Use a good marine duty waterproof grease. Also be sure to spray the rubber coupler housing where the three bolts go through to secure it.

+1
    What type of grease are people using on the drive shaft bearing? It is supposed to be a urea based grease. After getting a shrug from several bearing suppliers here in Australia, finally found someone that stocks "urea based grease" Will there be any problems using a marine lithium based grease here instead as your are not "supposed" to mix different grease bases (soaps)?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hondaturboboy View Post
    What type of grease are people using on the drive shaft bearing? It is supposed to be a urea based grease. After getting a shrug from several bearing suppliers here in Australia, finally found someone that stocks "urea based grease" Will there be any problems using a marine lithium based grease here instead as your are not "supposed" to mix different grease bases (soaps)?
    You are correct, you should not mix bases but I use the Mercury Marine 2-4-C special lube and it works well for me. I lube it about every 50 hours.

Thread Information