Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar

Aftermarket Waterbox

From what I have read the general concensus seems to be that aftermarket waterboxes add a lot more noise with minimal power gains. Of course an aftermarket waterbox is one of the first things changed with the Group K mods. For anyone who has actually used one, do they add more power or just sound like more power? Where I ride I seem to already be the loudest one on the water (most others run 4 stroke skis). And there is one guy who runs open headers on his speedboat all the time, so I am not too worried about making it a bit louder. I just want to know if it will help my Sleeper project breathe a little easier and make more power.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    A LOUD sleeper?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    A LOUD sleeper?
    Yeah....about that....I should probably just give up on the whole 'sleeper' idea....it's turning into a custom ski, not really a sleeper. I just seem to be acquiring more go-fast parts that don't really fit in with the whole 'sleeper' look. Besides, with a custom ski I get to repaint it the way I want! My brother is an airbrush artist and has done some really excellent work lately.

+1
    ujustlost runs no box, just an elbow. I'd rather take the front compartment box out and cut more louvers to hear the triple pipes even more! love those pipes...

paint it black n green with a green hulk theme and have your brother airbrush a huge green hulk on the hood holding onto a yamaha and a kawa in his hands crushing them.lol

then have "THE HULK" on the back, all black, green trim, green n black seat,green grips, black handle pad cover. That would look sweet. with catbon fiber dash!

Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    ujustlost runs no box, just an elbow..
    That must be LOUD!!! Here we need to run a 'sound reducing device' if we are operating withing a certain distance of the shoreline. Where I go, that usually means anywhere on the lake! It is quite vague as to what qualifies as a 'sound reducing device' but I am sure an aftermarket waterbox qualifies just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    ...paint it black n green with a green hulk theme and have your brother airbrush a huge green hulk on the hood holding onto a yamaha and a kawa in his hands crushing them.lol

then have "THE HULK" on the back, all black, green trim, green n black seat,green grips, black handle pad cover. That would look sweet. with catbon fiber dash!
    That would look neat. I have also considered black with 'real flames' on the front.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jkindt View Post
    That must be LOUD!!! Here we need to run a 'sound reducing device' if we are operating withing a certain distance of the shoreline. Where I go, that usually means anywhere on the lake! It is quite vague as to what qualifies as a 'sound reducing device' but I am sure an aftermarket waterbox qualifies just fine.

That would look neat. I have also considered black with 'real flames' on the front.

Black would look great caseys 2001 slx is black

+1
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...Best-water-box

James, you have a 94 sl650 , whats cool about the 94 exhaust is the outlet is on the upper part of the lower hull not under water like others. So it sounds a little better to begin with. I have a TDR on my wifes 94 sl650 and it sounds awesome but it is not that loud and when you get about 50 feet or so from shore you can't hear the ski all that much.

It has been talked about a lot on here about the "actual performance gains" and I respect everyones opinions but I have to say that I respectfully disagree. In my opinion your project ski would not be complete without a different or modified waterbox. They save weight and will give you better low end throttle response/wholeshot not to mention they sound great. If there were no performance gains then the race teams would have just left the stock ones in there and not worried about it. There are many different makers to choose from, let me know what one your looking for if you decide to give one a try.

I've run multiple skis with stock and aftermarket boxes. On the bigger Polaris motors, they will add a few rpms on top, and a lot of noise, in the 2 seater hull...(the Virage and Genesis have an additional sound reduction system that makes them more mellow). Low end is improved as well...The more the engine is modified, the more you will gain by removing some of the restriction in the stock box. Race teams are running triple piped, high RPM motors, which really benefit. For example, a fairly stock 650 isn't going to gain anything you're going to notice, however. Also, if you remove too much restriction, you can actually start losing RPM...its a fine line. Some skis will actually lose RPM if you try to reduce backpressure at all, until you are heavily modified.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    groupk k says to stay with the stock waterbox,hot seat sold the hp waterboxes in there kits.like nut said more mods will benefit from the less restrictive w/b.

More mods? More than...

Ported 785 crankcase
    PSI ported 71.5mm cylinders
    PSI high compression heads (or Ocean Pro head)
    Pro 785 CDI
    Aftermarket F/A's
    Modifed exhaust manifold
    Jetworks valve
    Aftermarket reeds
    44mm carbs (if I can get my hands on a good set)

Not sure what other engine mods I could actually do!

EDIT: Oh yeah, also got a Jetinetics lightened flywheel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information