Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My little project: 86' Kawasaki X2

I just thought I'd share my year long project. I started out riding standups a little while ago and after riding my buddy's X2 I decided that I needed to have one. I have other ski's to ride so I could take my time with this one and build it the way I wanted with some help from my friends.
    I knew once I started the direction I wanted to go with it. It's was definitly going to be a 750cc swap and a custom painted hull.

So here is the timeline of progression over the past year.

Mariner Head (tapped for dual cooling)
    46mm (waaaaay to big)
    K&N flame arrestor
    West coast intake mani
    Kerker exhaust mani
    PJS Pipe (big 3 piece)
    Drilled stock water box
    West coast intake grate
    Stock ride plate
    Prop (not sure of pitch)
    Hull Chopped 1.5in.
    Stock turf

After or in progress:
    750cc with electronics
    Converted to single carb
    K&N flame Arrestor
    Factory pipe
    Drilled stock waterbox (becuase I like my hearing)
    Rad Dudes surf brace with ebox mount
    Rad Dudes Exhaust outlet
    West Coast grate
    Ocean Pro ride plate
    Prop either SXR cutback or Skat 14/19
    Rhule 500 Bildge
    New Hydo Turf Mats
    XSPaint custom painted hull (theme is a suprise)

Before pics:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1604.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	213665

Name:	DSCN1603.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	213668

Name:	DSCN1605.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	213666

Name:	DSCN1606.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	213670

After and in progess:

Name:	DSCN1717.jpg 
Views:	4806 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	213669

Name:	DSCN1718.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	213667

Name:	IMG950164[1].JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	326.5 KB 
ID:	213671

Last edited by Flyinbysti; 09-22-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Paint is finished

Funky town (Fort Worth TX)
    Look up John Ziggler from Rock County Personal Watercraft repair, he makes his own top loader grates for the X2 that friggin rock! Best part is they are only 60 bones, they stuff, but don't steal speed or rip inserts out like some of the other top loader grates.

He's on PWCtoday, keep us posted with pics! I got my X2 not too long ago and I'm in love with it, I've just got a 44mm carb and a coffman's pipe, wet wolf cone, 15.5 skat and I know over the winter a head is in my future...

The SXR cutback prop with your mods might need a little more grunt to pull it (heard they are heavy). Call impros, I've heard good things about their hooker props.

I have John on my speed dial hahaha. My friends and I order parts from him all the time. I think there is any extra one of his grates over at my buddy's shop which will probably make it's way over to my ski.

X2's are like an addiction, you will be dumping alot of money into it before you know it. I would sell you the head off my motor, but I think I am going to try sell the motor as a whole. You have a pretty good list of parts on there already. I definitly recommend chopping the hull. What year do you have? is it an SQ hull or direct steer?

A couple of our guys have run the impro's props, but recently we have sound someone local to do the cutting for us. I rode my friends X2 with the 14/19 and it ripped out of the the whole. There was no hesitation at all.

What are you going to do with the 650 motor? Sell it?

I know someone selling a 750 twin carb at a good price. LMK if youre looking for one.

Ipswich, Massachusetts, United States
    nice build...Im dying to get an X2 myself (house 1st, then X2).. they really look like a lot of fun... please keep us posted.

I have one on the shelf just waiting to drop in, thanks for the offer though.

Quote Originally Posted by ctriverguy View Post
    nice build...Im dying to get an X2 myself (house 1st, then X2).. they really look like a lot of fun... please keep us posted.
    you can pick one up really cheap..just don't start the real modding till after the house.

Just added some pictures of the ski all painted up. Jay from XSPAINT does some amazing work I couldn't be any more please or excited about the paint job. Now starts the rest of the winter build.

I saw it earlier this week in person.

You have to paint the bottom. Dem will do it for a good price. I know its a stand up and the bottom gets beat up no matter what but you want that thing to be mint. The top deck looks so good...
    maybe even add some machine guns on the sides right below the rub rail or bombs!

Keep going with it!

I was going to do the bottom deck, but they just take such a beating that it would be scratched after the first season. Plus when it is sitting in the water, you never see the lower deck anyway because of where the water line is it's always underwater.

I think it came out awesome though, I can't wait to get it back together for next season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information