I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1

Post Long term effects of beaching a Jet ski

I figured this would be a good thread to start, what are all the long term effects of beaching your ski? Whether it be the way you see some people haul ass at the beach and kill the engine right before they hit shore or just pulling it up on shore by hand/ or what I feel is even worse just letting it sit in right on the waters edge with the pump in the water. I figure the impeller/ wear ring is the most obvious part likely to get damaged along with scratches in the hull, but how about some sand getting sucked into the cooling system afterward upon startup?

Some idiot on an old Yamaha was running his ski in 6" of water at my beach last weekend. My guess is that the impellar will be totally fu#%ed and the clearances will be off eventually.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

beaching your ski is just dandy

no problems as long as you know I don't take credit cards.

Between hull wear, sand getting packed up into the engine cooling system and wear ring/prop bearing issues going with a off beach anchorage is really the only way to go.

Now this doesn't work in all venues and some folks like to use thier ski as a water chair so I would say that it's just aprt of the overall experience.

But nothing really good comes of this to the owners or the people that have to pay for repairs.

I've seen a few seadoo 787 engines where the jugs had quite a bit of sand packed in.

had a tigershark this seaon that fried the engine as the cooling line filter was packed

so sand..not so good..

not to mention the wear on the bottom of the hull that knocks hundreds off a resale price..and casts and evil eye on the possibility of sand in the engine and pump issues.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    no problems as long as you know I don't take credit cards.
    Hahahahahaa my thoughts exactly. I always see people have their skis sitting right on the beach with water splashing sand up into the pump and cringe thinking of what's gonna happen when they start it. I rigged up a mini mooring for my Ultra but the blue-claws always seem to mess with me when I walk out to it so I had to get some wetsuit booties with nice tough soles. Punk ass crabs...

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater n Premix View Post
    I always see people have their skis sitting right on the beach with water splashing sand up into the pump and cringe thinking of what's gonna happen when they start it.
    I am afraid this describes far too many of us rec riders . I live right on the water and there is a beach in front of my house. I have a bad habit of driving my ski up onto the beach. I do at least push it out a good ways before starting but I have noticed that sand collects above the rideplate during the time the ski sits on the shore.

I have managed to make it 220hrs on my stock '07 250X without any major issues but I know I am pushing it.

I plan to completely rebuild my pump per DrewNJ's guide and check my impeller condition and clearance this winter just to be safe. Depending on conditions of the impeller I will either have to sand down or completely replace it (which is like $300+ ).

+1
    I've noticed the sand on the rideplate before on my standup and others' beached skis. I dont think that itself is a problem (someone with more experience chime in), but I always lifted up and dunked the rear of my standup underwater a whole bunch of times hoping it would flush most of the sand out of the pump. Wishful thinking maybe but it helps me sleep at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater n Premix View Post
    I've noticed the sand on the rideplate before on my standup and others' beached skis. I dont think that itself is a problem (someone with more experience chime in), but I always lifted up and dunked the rear of my standup underwater a whole bunch of times hoping it would flush most of the sand out of the pump. Wishful thinking maybe but it helps me sleep at night.
    I know what you are talking about. When I am not being lazy I reach my hand under there and pull handfulls of sand out .

+1
    for those with '09 ultra's take note that the valve going into the front water box doesnt like sand it jams the valve up and the sand cant pass through. How do i know because last time i stripped down my engine the water line was packed with sand from the box for about 10" down the hose, the previous ride i ran onto a sand bar. lesson learnt always feel the hose with your hand to make sure its not packed and also listen for the valve to rattle when you turn the engine off this is the water draining out of the block freely into the water box.

We dont have much sand here except at highest tides in special places. Its rocks or mud. I try to never let hull ever rest on soil or stone. I can easily suck a seaweed ball and jam the impeller accidentally so I'm not gonna put sand and rocks up there. But, Ive got a friend who routinely rides ski right onto shore, barnacles and all. Ive never seen him suck a rock but his 10 yr old ski seldom runs right for a million other reasons and he did just suck up a rope. The rest of us like to anchor skis at least 10ft out while we lunch on the beach. My job is always to keep skis exactly 10ft out on tethers. Its all I do. Everyone else brings the food. I just keep skis off soil and stone.

Thread Information