2009 RXT-is 255 Questions...Help?

I'm close to finalizing a deal on a new 2009 RXT-is 255. After trying to get a 2010 RXT-is 260 for a decent price and no one wanting to budge more than $1200-1500, the 2009's price is much better for me...

My questions:

-Any known issues with the suspension system?

-Anyone try to do any maintenance on theirs? If so, how difficult is it to get to needed components? Everything looks pretty well blocked...

-Performance? How is it?

-Any reason to poney up the extra dough for a 2010/2011?

-The i-Catch trailers seem really interesting. Anyone own one? Like it? Hate it?

My parents sold our '96 XP when I graduated from college in 2003 (wish I would have kept it) so I am having SERIOUS withdrawals....

Thanks for any help/advice or any other interesting tidbits you can share about the RXT-is. I appreciate your time!!!

Best,
    Matt

Full Throttle or Broke!!! UNSANE's Avatar
    +1
    I have a 2010 iS and love it. But it looks like I'm going to try to make a trade for the 2011 aS, as I do a lot of offshore riding. I beat the crap out of myself and the suspension has held up so far. I let the dealer do the 10 hr service and they do charge more because the engine is harder to get to. For such a heavy machine, it moves pretty good. It feels a little top heavy when the suspension is up, but you'll get used to it. The limiter on the ECU keeps mine at 68-69 on the GPS speedo, even with 2 people, as was the case today.

I also have an i-Catch trailer. Although I've had issues with it, I have decided to stick with it as it makes loading and unloading (especially beach launches) so much easier. Just make sure to put that safety cable through before pulling out and always tow with straps.

If you want to see it in action, check out my Youtube page for some videos and more to follow in the coming days. www.youtube.com/unsane

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by UNSANE View Post
    I have a 2010 iS and love it. But it looks like I'm going to try to make a trade for the 2011 aS, as I do a lot of offshore riding. I beat the crap out of myself and the suspension has held up so far. I let the dealer do the 10 hr service and they do charge more because the engine is harder to get to. For such a heavy machine, it moves pretty good. It feels a little top heavy when the suspension is up, but you'll get used to it. The limiter on the ECU keeps mine at 68-69 on the GPS speedo, even with 2 people, as was the case today.

I also have an i-Catch trailer. Although I've had issues with it, I have decided to stick with it as it makes loading and unloading (especially beach launches) so much easier. Just make sure to put that safety cable through before pulling out and always tow with straps.

If you want to see it in action, check out my Youtube page for some videos and more to follow in the coming days. www.youtube.com/unsane

Good Luck!
    Does the topdeck on the aS sit lower or will it have the same higher center of gravity? Will the aS top deck still settle down to a lower position when you are at the dock and stopped?

Full Throttle or Broke!!! UNSANE's Avatar
    +1
    The aS will have 5 inches of travel instead of 6. You can preload the spring with a tool and adjust the nitrogen amount (stiffness) while riding. As far as the Dock Mode being lower, I'm not sure on that.

Quote Originally Posted by UNSANE View Post
    The aS will have 5 inches of travel instead of 6. You can preload the spring with a tool and adjust the nitrogen amount (stiffness) while riding. As far as the Dock Mode being lower, I'm not sure on that.
    Sound like with less travel, the suspension will have to be quite a bit stiffer to avoid bottoming out. Doesn't sound like it is the best choice for 2' - 3' chop on a large inland lake. We'll have to see how they market it (ocean riders or inland lake riders or both). For now I'm happy with my 2010 RXT X without suspension.

Banned User
    +1
    That is their solution to the suspension issues...
    The shock has been modified to decreased travel and is now designed to allow the bump stops to take some of the harder impact forces (from what I understand in my discussions locally in AU).

Some guys are lucky but if you ride it hard with plenty of air time you're going to do a shock at some stage... No warranty on shocks (in some places around the world).

The solution I gave the troublesome model year 09/10 shocks is to redesign the whole unit (like in my signature line link) ... The bump stops need to be used more...

What BRP have done is more of a band-aid solution to the problem instead of re-designing the whole kit.

Which is fair enough, they run a business and need to keep profitable.

The nitrogen bag will always burst at some stage and if you have a remote reservoir, the pressure is still sent into the res, some guys still blow the bags in there...

Its the 2nd gen suspension setup from BRP. Not much else will change.

A 5 inch shock (if using the same shock mount from BRP) will allow the top deck to come closer to the hull when in dock mode, but this is affected by the spring loading.

Thread Information