+1

2001 GPR1200R - some rebuild advice

Hey guys, just picked up a 2001 GPR1200R (on edit, it's a 2002) for myself as I really miss the old two stroke days. Neighbor has had it sitting in his backyard covered up for the last five years and I worked out a deal to take it off his hands. Clean, 43 hours since new but needs some tlc. Hadn't been running in five years so I started cleaning it up and checked compression which at first was 60rear, 110,110 (WOT). Once it sat overnight with oil in the cylinders, they were all around 110. Still completely stock, swapped out plugs, drained fuel, checked oil and it fired right up. had an issue with the choke sticking closed which we ended up resolving temporarily by reaching under and moving the rail manually. Ran pretty well on the hose so we took it for a quick trip to the river. Long story short, it ran well for 5 minutes until the front cylinder lost oil due to the oil line popping off and that's where I stand. Cylinder is ok, cleaned up very well with muratic acid and scotch brite although not much aluminum on the walls. Engine is out and disasembled and here is where it stands with only one decision left ot make. With only 43 hours on the ski and the rear two cylinders in perfect shape, should I just re-ring or replace the pistons? I'm leaning toward spending the extra $160.00 for the other two pistons and just starting new with all cylinders. Here's the plan with orders going in tonight:

• new top end (pistons,rings,clips,brngs etc) all cylinders (Prox or oem)
    • New oem gasket kit (not sure about the WSM kit?)
    • Oil pump blockoff (piece of mind for me, read all the comments)
    • Going premix
    • Removing accelerator pump and rejet (per the recommendations up here)
    • Carb jet kit and t handle adjusters (also bought a popoff gauge)
    • O-Plate and resistor for exhaust
    • Wave eater kit for PV's
    • New lines for fuel and carb connections
    • Replacing seat cover
    • Winter project will be pump issues like seal kit etc.
    Leaning towards replacing all pistons but saving $160.00 would be nice as well. Just don't want any regrets later though. total cost for above is just under $800 (plus shipping).
    Thanks for the advice..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0044.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	213684  
    Last edited by mxr515; 09-10-2010 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Listed wrong year for Ski

+1
    recommend replace all 3 pistons with rings, but if you are doing just 1, go with oem so it will match the other pistons

ProX 1200R pistons are actually 800 pistons that will work in a 1200 as well... difference is the proX are a little narrower in the skirt area than the oems

I would go with the oem gaskets

R&D D-plate with 10K ohm resister

also may want to upgrade to a 13R reed cage too (I have some in stock)

+1
    Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. What's the benefit to the 13R reed cage?

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    recommend replace all 3 pistons with rings, but if you are doing just 1, go with oem so it will match the other pistons

ProX 1200R pistons are actually 800 pistons that will work in a 1200 as well... difference is the proX are a little narrower in the skirt area than the oems

I would go with the oem gaskets

R&D D-plate with 10K ohm resister

also may want to upgrade to a 13R reed cage too (I have some in stock)

+1
    its an 02 isnt it? the stickers are 02 style. i just did this same sort of thing. go with pro x pistons. the number on the jugs determines the size you need. they like the nikasil better than other pistons. avoid wsm if possible. definatly do the d plate and chip, the wave eaters (mine dropped a power valve) and if you have it all apart, replace the 3 oil seals on the crank.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.. WFO has some good advice.

+1
    Pretty sure it's an 01 (6/1 build date) but I only looked up on powersports to get an idea of which year. Here is what they show as a 2002 and there 2001 picture is what I have (color wise). I'll take a look at what is involved crank seal wise as it's a good idea as well. Going with WFO's advice as well. appreciate the input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed View Post
    its an 02 isnt it? the stickers are 02 style. i just did this same sort of thing. go with pro x pistons. the number on the jugs determines the size you need. they like the nikasil better than other pistons. avoid wsm if possible. definatly do the d plate and chip, the wave eaters (mine dropped a power valve) and if you have it all apart, replace the 3 oil seals on the crank.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

+1
    Last two numbers on the HIN is the year.

+1
    13R cages is a better design for flow and longevity

that is an 02 in your picture... only difference is the intermediate and drive shaft, plastic tank fuel sender, and plastic insulator plate between carbs and reed plate

+1
    Thanks for the info.. Thanks to those who indicated the correct year, just saw the picture from the website which looked like an 02 was a lighter color, I see the differences now.

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    13R cages is a better design for flow and longevity

that is an 02 in your picture... only difference is the intermediate and drive shaft, plastic tank fuel sender, and plastic insulator plate between carbs and reed plate

Thread Information