Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

stopped in my dealer today

dropped off my ski today for some service and have them go over everything make sure everything is good, was talking with the head mechanic and he showed me a few other 250s/260s. 4 had dropped valves, 1 had a thrown rod, 2 had cracked heads, 2 had bad pump bearings, i never heard of these things dropping valves, he is thinking maybe from people not revving the skis after flushing the skis out to get all the water out of the waterbox and condensation builds up maybe? (no signs of water injestion on any of those 4 skis) over the winter im having him upgrade to the 2010 pump shaft and bearings (gave me good price quote) hes surprised that i have almost 130 hrs with no major issues. so far.... only thing that went on me in the past 3 years is a belt. how is everyone else holding up so far?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    you drop valves by over reving not leaving water in the waterbox, its probably from the pump coming unhooked and just letting the motor redline

Sean

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    you drop valves by over reving not leaving water in the waterbox, its probably from the pump coming unhooked and just letting the motor redline

Sean
    .........Saltwater left in the water box does rise and and will pit/corrode the exposed section of valve stem on the Exhaust valves.........the continues pitting/rusting WILL reduce the strength of the stem and CAN and WILL cause the valve head to break off in severe cases young Sean buddy

I have seen many valve stem severely corroded from this issue over the years
    as the exhaust vale is the driest/ most exposed metal in the engine......

Not everybody thinks about it ...but it is definitely a neglect error and not a machine fault

yes over reeving a engine can damage valve train components.
    But its a lot harder in a ski to severely over rev a engine than when comparing to a bike or any gearbox driven item.

Hell in a EFI engine the Rev limiter hard and soft dramatically reduce the chances of a RPM increasing engine exceeding its Set target Max RPM..

as were in a car you just need to select a gear too soon on a down change and you can mechanically force the engine WAY over the RPM limiter.......if that makes sense

Waz

But hey what would I know

+1
    I am a mechanic at a kawi dealership on the east coast of Australia, the only item you mentioned that I have EVER seen is the pump bearings.

On another note, Who is the dealer?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by eel View Post
    I am a mechanic at a kawi dealership on the east coast of Australia, the only item you mentioned that I have EVER seen is the pump bearings.

On another note, Who is the dealer?
    how about fixing my starting issue

dealer is long island kawi and yamaha

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I didnt even think about that, I just figured a "dropped" valve would mean the retainers popped off, nice information though Waz. I learn new stuff everyday.

Sean

I think my '07 250X must be special or something. While I have always changed the oil/filter/plugs/winterize it per the manual, and run water hose through it after rides, I didn't wash the engine compartment out for the first 2yrs (didn't know to). Starting on the third year I found the service manual and started doing pretty much all of the other maintenance in the periodic maintenance section.

But here's the thing. I have 220hrs on it and I have never had a single problem - ever. No GIO, plugs last all season, pump bearings are fine. And I don't treat it like a baby. I ride the piss out of it and jump the wake of every boat I see (and that is a LOT of boats). The SC belt finally broke at 200hrs. That's the only problem I have ever had with it and that's expected... I plan to rebuild the pump this winter and check the impeller/clearances. My hope is I can push this ski another 200hrs because it has shown absolutely no signs of quitting yet.

The only thing I can think is I think I bought the second 250X my dealer sold. I bought it right after they were released so maybe they were better then?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKawi View Post
    I think my '07 250X must be special or something. While I have always changed the oil/filter/plugs/winterize it per the manual, and run water hose through it after rides, I didn't wash the engine compartment out for the first 2yrs (didn't know to). Starting on the third year I found the service manual and started doing pretty much all of the other maintenance in the periodic maintenance section.

But here's the thing. I have 220hrs on it and I have never had a single problem - ever. No GIO, plugs last all season, pump bearings are fine. And I don't treat it like a baby. I ride the piss out of it and jump the wake of every boat I see (and that is a LOT of boats). The SC belt finally broke at 200hrs. That's the only problem I have ever had with it and that's expected... I plan to rebuild the pump this winter and check the impeller/clearances. My hope is I can push this ski another 200hrs because it has shown absolutely no signs of quitting yet.

The only thing I can think is I think I bought the second 250X my dealer sold. I bought it right after they were released so maybe they were better then?
    You are probably correct in your thinking that they were better back then! Kawasaki has undergone some major restructuring within the company,, when the U.S. economy starting going bad Kawasaki really down sized there manning.Back when the ultra 250X was designed Kawasaki had alot of engineers in the Jetski department doing all kinds of research and developement,believe it or not there is now only one full time engineer in the jetski dept.(Kanamori)who use to race Pro Runabout for Kawasaki is the only one and he has 1 part time guy helping him.I think when companies have to take drastic measures like this to keep product cost down in return it has a negative effect on Quality control!!!! This may explain why the Quality of later 250X`s and even the 260X suffered in certain areas.

+1
    my boy's 250 dropped a valve with like 75 hrs on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information