Ultra 150 1 hour on seals!!!!

I put 1 hour 1/2 tank of fuel in my 02 Ultra 150 with new bearings and seals and pulled off the pump just to check and already have water in the pump. WTF???????

Were they factory kawi parts or did you get wsm or sbt parts?

How wore was the metal collar that rides on the seals? Pretty war likely if its already leaking.

When I rebuilt my '01 Ultra 150 pump, the seal kit was a "double seal" - it had two seals to fit in place of one. And they instructed the installer to use lots of waterproof grease in specified places.

No problems with mine since, was yours the "double seal" kit?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I thought the hot setup fo ra 150 was the triple seal kit they used on later skis, but after an hour?..sounds to me like a seal was installed backwards, or somebody had some "problem" getting the seals in place. Or perhaps prep wasn't what it should have been.

If I was running a 150, I'd put a grease fitting in the housing and pump a bunch of grease or maybe fil the whole damm thing with gear oil. As I've said before, I'm not all impressed with the kawasaki jet pump setups..that tiny little bearing in the tailcone and a single row bearing at the shaft end. The 4-tec pump seems to be built for the power that is coming...kawasaki..not so much

the 4 tec pump has a pretty massive double row bearing ( that you can actually get more grease into)
    If you're wacking the k- bearings in without a press it's really really easy to ding one and have a seal failure.

Yeah I had the 3 seals instead of 2. Also used a ton of waterproof grease. I have a new collar I installed last weekend before riding. I will pull it apart tonight and see if there is still leaking goin on.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

too much of a good thing

can be a problem if it forces the seals out of position.

take a tip from seadoo, as I have not seen any mention of pressure testing the k pumps at all.

put a fitting into your tailcone and see if you can put 5 psi on it and have it hold for 15 minutes. get a seadoo pump plug and tap to match

I do this on every seadoo pump I service and it gives me great confidence that the service or repair is going to hold up as expected. I've caught a leaker or two that way also on a pump oil change that resulted in a major pump service. Nobody likes the idea of water where it shouldn't be in a jetpump

it I owned an ultra.....

I have a wet pump on my 04. I pulled the dust covers out of the bearings and cleaned out all the grease then filled the cavity with belray gear oil. It has 180+ hours on the original bearings and seals. I changed the oil this year but saw no sign of water contamination. My other 2 pumps are normal but have the later model seals.

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    I have a wet pump on my 04. I pulled the dust covers out of the bearings and cleaned out all the grease then filled the cavity with belray gear oil. It has 180+ hours on the original bearings and seals. I changed the oil this year but saw no sign of water contamination. My other 2 pumps are normal but have the later model seals.
    I pulled it apart last night and the front seal was toast and the inner was starting to be. I was thinking of making my pump into a wet pump. How much gear oil should I use? Also does the pump need a vent of some sort since there would be oil in it?

Thread Information