Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

WTF ? 1300r Wear RIng Replacement $600 ?

Pleae bare with me on this little story I am a little loss for words but yet have quite a bit to talk about. So this morning I get up to prepare for a short ride on some back lakes. I havent cranked on my skis on in a little under 2 weeks (the last time I rode). SO I turn on the 1200r all good ready to ride BUT then I go to turn on the 1300r and bam no start, a little turn then slight lock up. I hit the start again and again bam and bam lock up wtf? I see a little bit of smoke coming from a pretty coroided starter and figured that was the issue. I picked up my 1300r with 80hrs from RIva Yamaha about 3 months ago with the extended warranty. So i figured hey I will take it to them they will fix the started issue and be done with. WRONG, I got a call back from the service guy only to be informed that the issue is the prop is rubbing on an edge of the wear ring causing the engine to lock up and to replace it, it would cost around 600 bucks and not covered under warranty WTFingF ????? What is the average cost of replaceing the wearing ring ? He also mentioned that there were other issues that could happed in the future and he wanted to advise me of when I return. Why not over the phone ? What could it be that I need to speak to him about it in person ?

+1
    sending you a pm! Lee

Go buy one with a plastic wear ring for like $200. Then install it yourself.... really simple...

First off hes charging you full retail which is 312 because hes a dealer. It only take 30 minutes TOPS!!! to swap it out. Ask him how many man hours to replace, would love to know his answer. You can do this your self with basic tools. Is he charging you for a new prop? IF so OEM or aftermarket, you dont want an OEM.
    Hopefully LEE is pming you that he has one cheap and he can tell you how to replace it!
    Good luck!

If you bought it from them with a warranty i'd be pretty pissed off myself. Sounds like the warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Tell them they should have fixed those "other issues" before they decided to sell it to you with a warranty, and they can either fix them gratis or you'll be fixing them yourself and badmouthing them to anyone who'll listen.

Yes this issue has really pissed me off, Well they were trying to charge me a $75 dollar fee just for taking it to them and since the problem is not covered by warranty I have to pay that fee to get my ski back. SO I called and bitched a little to the sales man that sold me the ski. He explaned to me that the issue is compareable to a car tire and is something that gets worn over time. So I advised him that I would not like to keep the extended warranty because it was B.S. if it wouldnt cover this simple ass problem. He extend and offer to replace the part for me for free if I purchase the part and if I decide not to fix it they would still waive the service fee. Still not sure what to do at this point ? Lee I will be getting back to your PM later today

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    on the 1300 and other yamahas of that ilk the wear ring is part of a really expensive housing bit as stated $312. You are at a dealer, highest labor rates around and you pay flat rate book time, not actual time. A wear ring is considered a wear item, just like a seadoo supercharger, not going to be covered under any warranty.

My worst pump replacement jobs typically come in around $500-600, but for yamahas around here I go with a third party housing ( wsm) that takes a plastic replaceable insert...SBT sells the same bit..replacement inserts are under $50. Stainless stell doens't work around here..way too rocky around the beaches.

I like stainless for one reason only..if you do take a good rock in shallow water..there is enough of the wear ring left to get you back to the dock. I offer stainless as an option for my seadoo customers..after explaining the issues..more then half opt for the stainless over plastic liners.

Before you guys start yelling it takes 30 minutes tops..consider it's a saltwater boat ( pardon me if I am wrong) and on a freshwater ski, just prepping the parts for replacement takes me 30 minutes ( OK, so I'm a bit ocd on prep, but isn't that what you want?). SOme of these yamaha pumps are so tight they defy your one tug removal

big if... is the impeller..replaced ( ouch$$..or just refurbished?..what about the pump bearings?)

I just did a 4-tec that had a plastic pump...pump was thrashed..no more plastic pumps from seadoo for 4-tecs ( discontinued)..by the time it was all said and done, the bill has close to $600.

Before you go ballastic on the dealer, check the exact wording on your warranty.

Charging you for looking at this when you bought the ski there is just bad business..Since warranty won't cover it, bring it to an independent shop and get the pump freshed up..should cost $400 or so, assuming the prop can be refinished and the pump bearings are good.

+1
    Since it's a saltwater ski, you probably had some corrosion start between the SS liner & the aluminum wear ring housing which caused the liner to bulge out. I've seen it happen to a lot of people. Flushing with the hose won't prevent this & is one reason I always take my skis to a freshwater ramp & let them run on the trailer after riding in the salt. It's a typical wear item so I'm not surprised they wouldn't fix it under warranty, but the $75 fee sounds a little excessive since it only takes 10 min to remove the pump & identify the problem. I'm sure you can find a used wear ring in good condition from the forum classifieds for under $100.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Since it's a saltwater ski, you probably had some corrosion start between the SS liner & the aluminum wear ring housing which caused the liner to bulge out. I've seen it happen to a lot of people. Flushing with the hose won't prevent this & is one reason I always take my skis to a freshwater ramp & let them run on the trailer after riding in the salt. It's a typical wear item so I'm not surprised they wouldn't fix it under warranty, but the $75 fee sounds a little excessive since it only takes 10 min to remove the pump & identify the problem. I'm sure you can find a used wear ring in good condition from the forum classifieds for under $100.
    I`ve recently witness this with a friends ski, all`s I can say is wow... bulging stopped the prop from turning...damn salt water...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I`ve recently witness this with a friends ski, all`s I can say is wow... bulging stopped the prop from turning...damn salt water...
    Yeah, I've never seen one bad enough to actually stop the impeller, but quite a few that when first started went clang, clang, clang...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information