2005 ultra 150 hole shot cavitation

Any idea what might need to Replaced/fixed?

Is this just an impeller situation or could it be something more than that? You can feel the prop kinda slipping when the ski first takes off....the hole shot is definitely lacking power... Maximum speed on the dreamometer was 57, at 7k rpm, in flat water, stock prop......it also seems like low speed for that much rpm, right? I weigh 200lbs...the guy who owns it said he drives up on the beaches all time... />

Please advise, thanks for your help guys!!!!

+1
    I was told and I've read repeatedly that a poorly sealed rideplate -specifically the eyeglass seal - is the usual culprit of hole shot cavitation on the Ultra 150.

However, that being said, I had a similar situation with my 99 when I first got it. The machine had a Nu-Jet impeller that had a small ding in one trailing edge. I did not touch the rideplate, but when the pump was done by skiworx and I ran it with a good modded stock impeller - cavitation was gone.

So if impeller is good, I'd maybe think about the seal. I'd also check the impeller clearance too just to see where it is at.

Quote Originally Posted by witness140 View Post
    I was told and I've read repeatedly that a poorly sealed rideplate -specifically the eyeglass seal - is the usual culprit of hole shot cavitation on the Ultra 150.

However, that being said, I had a similar situation with my 99 when I first got it. The machine had a Nu-Jet impeller that had a small ding in one trailing edge. I did not touch the rideplate, but when the pump was done by skiworx and I ran it with a good modded stock impeller - cavitation was gone.

So if impeller is good, I'd maybe think about the seal. I'd also check the impeller clearance too just to see where it is at.

In order to check the imp clearence I have to pull the pump out, right?

+1
    Correct. That is how it's usually done. Unless you want to pull the rideplate and intake grate, and then lay on your back and reach up into the pump with a flashlight and feeler gauges.

Pulling the pump involves 4 nuts, 2 hex bolts (from bottom) and 2 linkage bolts. Then it's just luck of the draw if yours is 'happy' where it is or if comes out relatively easily. I used a rubber mallet and just tapped the case sides, alternating left, right, and bottom. Over and over, wiggle wiggle, pull. Eventually it came out. Based on what I read over on the Ultra forum, I think you should pull the pump and give it all a look. Feel the bearings, check the clearance, check the impeller, etc.

Thread Information