+1

What cause the crank to fail on my gp1200r

The bearing on the rod went out on the crank.

Story behind it.
    Was out riding a few weeks ago and ran over some grass. Some of the grass got caught up in it and it would only run 1-2mph but it would rev up to 7000 or so. So i got off removed all of the grass that i could find. Then cranked it back up and it ran fine for about 1-2 minutes then it just died and will not start back up. It will not turn over at all when I hit the start button all i hear is a click. I got towed back to the beach took all of the plugs out and the middle cylinder had a little bit of metal on the plugs. So when i get it back today i took the intake grate off and and tried to turn it. It would turn just a little bit and then stop. So I got to taking it apart and found this.

Here is the middle cylinder.

IDEAS???????? Dont want it to do it again when i take it out for the first time

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 992door View Post
    The bearing on the rod went out on the crank.

Story behind it.
    Was out riding a few weeks ago and ran over some grass. Some of the grass got caught up in it and it would only run 1-2mph but it would rev up to 7000 or so. So i got off removed all of the grass that i could find. Then cranked it back up and it ran fine for about 1-2 minutes then it just died and will not start back up. It will not turn over at all when I hit the start button all i hear is a click. I got towed back to the beach took all of the plugs out and the middle cylinder had a little bit of metal on the plugs. So when i get it back today i took the intake grate off and and tried to turn it. It would turn just a little bit and then stop. So I got to taking it apart and found this.

Here is the middle cylinder.

IDEAS???????? Dont want it to do it again when i take it out for the first time
    I think the grass in the intake was just a concident. your crank just gave up due to age and bearing failure over time. How many hours are on this crank? I would NOT have a crank rebuilt by any one or buy a used crank. GET A NEW OEM CRANK! Tommy Jordan

+1
    It had 80hrs on it and is an 01. I have already got a new crank for it. Noticed you are in central NC I am in greenville.

I agree with 2fast above. However, you will need to verify that the oil lines are still on all the way, as well, as they have a bad tendancy to fall off. When you reassemble the motor, a little extra care in securing the lines will help. Also, being an '01 you might want to go ahead and rebuild the carbs with genuine Mikuni rebuild kits.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    why all that rust around that piston, Looks like water is getting in the cylinder and that will take out a crank. Once you remove the crank see if the center rod and bearings have any rust on them.

+1
    Center one

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    bearing went out make sure when you are done you pressure test the motor just to make sure you are not getting water in it and there is no air leaks.

+1
    Now that i am thinking about it i probably cold have figured it out since the bearing at the piston looked fine other than a little metal in it.

+1
    Do either of you in NC have a pressure tester that you would be willing to let me borrow? I would be willing to pay you a little?

Thread Information