Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

RXT-260X Long (125 mile) ride. Impression and question.

Well I took my first distance trip on my new RXT-X 260X ski yesterday and it perfromed awesome. I had taken this trip several times on my SHO Cruiser and wanted to compare fuel usage along with the comfort of the ride. First off, my 260-X performed great. We started out the ride with some 2/3 foot chop and the new hull just stayed hooked up and made its way through it like it was nothing and I stayed pretty dry. Compared the the SHO, must drier ride. We then made our way down the inter-coastal waterway which was very smooth the ski just performed great for the next 60 miles. Now keep in mind the mide way point was 62 miles, so on the leg up there, I rode the ski very normal, no speed runs or anything. Kept the RPM's around 5400-6000,(WHICH WAS HARD to DO..lol), but I wanted to see how far I could get on this tank of fuel. Well I made it the 62 miles and burnt 9.9 gals of fuel (3 bars left). I dont think that is bad at all, since my SHO would use about the same, but keep in mind it has a 18gal tank. Like I said, the ski is awesome and very good on gas if you drive it normal. Now on the way home we did a few speed runs and here is my question. With the ski been running for a good hour and the temp around 189-192 and also the only fuel I could get was 87, I did a WOT speed run for about 2 min running with another ski. Will this harm the ski after its been running a long time and then with out cooling completely and using 87 octane, to do a WOT speed run. I def. want this ski to last. Just a little over precautious I suppose, but I dont like holding it wide-open anyways, but will this harm the ski. Again, this ski is awesome and can be enjoyed by all types of rides.

IMO the only thing you did wrong is run it WOT on 87 octane. I know SeaDoo is supposed to recalculate for the difference in octane in the ECU but let's be honest 87 octane is complete $h1t.

Quote Originally Posted by Toobold View Post
    Will this harm the ski after its been running a long time and then with out cooling completely, do a WOT speed run. I def. want this ski to last. Just a little over precautious I suppose, but I dont like holding it wide-open anyways, but will this harm the ski. Again, this ski is awesome and can be enjoyed by all types of rides.[/COLOR]
    If you don't like holding it wide open then you shouldn't. I don't think some wide open throttle runs are bad for your ski, but keep in mind that the harder you run the engine, the quicker it will wear. It is the same with race car engines; they run them flat out for a race and then have to rebuild them. As far as the octane, there seems to be a bunch of "experts" on the forums about what fuel you can use. The owners manual says 87 minimum, which is what you put in. I don't see a problem with that. I use premium now because that is what I can get at my marina. From 2004 to 2009 I used regular (87 octane) fuel in my SC and had no problems over the 7 years. I doubt you will have problems either. Finally, if you are concerned about having enough fuel cruising the waterway, you can always strap a 5 gallon plastic fuel container to the rear deck.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    your engine only needs the high octane at high rpm's but if your cruise around like me I use 89 I might do a few speed bursts but never even close to WOT.

you can run 87 octane but you are pretty much relying on the knock sensor to protect your engine from detonation. I'm sure you can run 87 but not a really high rpms, thats when the knock sensor kicks in.

I run 89 and dont have a problem I also cut down the coolant mix, when I got the ski it was %100 antifreeze, I cut it down to like %30 antifreeze and 70% distilled water, I kept some antifreeze there to keep my water pump and internal seals lubricated, I could run straight water but I seen what happened on my dad's old toyota, the straight water ate through his aluminium head.

here in the south there is no such thing as winterization. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    you can run 87 octane but you are pretty much relying on the knock sensor to protect your engine from detonation.
    +1. I do not have the manual in front of me but I suspect it recommends 90+ octane with 87 being acceptable when necessary. That said I wouldn't run any high-performance vehicle at WOT on 87 octane if I could avoid it.

Unlike automibile engines, PWC engines are designed to sustain redline RPMs for extended periods of time. I do not think you need to worry about riding WOT...

+1
    so, with that, do you think since I ran it maybe a 1 min or a little more, did I do any damage?

+1
    Well, from my 10+ years of dirtbiking and the hundreds of forums I've read - I feel that it's still just low grade "auto fuel". The fuel is designed to run in cars/trucks the are engineered for 87-93 octane. I don't get stuck on the octane rating which is a variable(RON+MON/2). The octane is primarily for anti knock/detonation. If your worried about performance from teh fuel than you would be running "race fuel" which would also involves other things.
    My local stations sell 87/89/93 - so my choice is 93. If the only choice was 89, I'd throw a bit of VP 110 in(what I use in my bike).

I have NO problem holding mine open. Ride it like you stole it!! Have fun with it. Baby it and you'll regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckmoto View Post
    My local stations sell 87/89/93 - so my choice is 93. If the only choice was 89, I'd throw a bit of VP 110 in(what I use in my bike).

I have NO problem holding mine open. Ride it like you stole it!! Have fun with it. Baby it and you'll regret it.
    +1

+1
    I guess I will have to just hope I have not done any damage Thanks for all the input.

Banned User
    +1
    Knock sensors would be doing their job if you got shitty fuel in there...

I wouldn't stress about it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information