Zxi Trim gauge working oddly and water temp light out

I have a 96 900 that had a bad trim motor. Just replaced the motor which works fine. I turned the key and found that none of the gauges/trim worked. I played around with a couple connections in the trim box and so now most of the stuff works. The problems I am having is the water temp light won't come on(there is a crack on the face of the light which may have something to do with it) and the trim gauge works but doesn't.

To explain better the gauge will bounce to quarter the way up as the key is turned on/off and then when I mess with the trim the gauge doesn't move at all. With the trim all the way up or down the gauge won't move with it. Any ideas?

It's always something.

Update:

I was just messing with it again and found something odd. I took what I think is the trim position sensor off the mount and moved it manually. This is the piece with the two screws and has the bracket below it that attaches to the worm gear. When i moved it manually it would make the other box in there(maybe the relay because it clicks when I turn the key on) crackle and pop. I put it back together and then all the gauges and trim wouldn't work. I played with it again and then everything worked like normal except the trim gauge like initially was my problem. Would this be a faulty component...the box that I think is the trim position sensor?

I got a new sensor and the trim gauge works fine now. Every once in awhile when I turn the ski on noone of the gauges read but I rode it today and they kicked on immediately when I started idling out of the no wake zone. hmmm. maybe a module but not going to worry about it.

Thread Information