Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

780 slt dies at top speed

Ok, so this happened the first time this weekend. Running my 96 780slt at top speed, after about 10 seconds wide open it would die completely. I could restart immediately. At less than full throttle I didn't experience this and everything was fine.

I don't think this ski has the original fuel lines, but I'm not sure. Or maybe the gas cap isn't venting properly, I'm not sure. Anyone else experience this?

If it has the Tempo fuel hoses... they need changed. (they are gray, ans say "Tempo" on them) Even if the hoses were changed... it sounds like you are running out of fuel, and you could burn up your engine if you aren't careful.

Clean the carbs, the fuel select valve, filter, an check for air leaks. (a bad O-ring on your filter could cause fuel delivery probs)

When you run out of fuel, open the gas cap, if it hisses chances are your vent is clogged. When you restart after stalling, does it take a while to start back up, or does it start right up?

it restarted immediately

That seems odd, I would figure if it were a fuel supply problem it would take some cranking to get it to start back up. When the vent on my pro was clogged, the same thing would happen, but it would take a while to start back up. I would go through the carbs.

well, immediately means I drifted to a stop, and had to restart.

I should have mentioned the other problem that was new yesterday....after i started the first time there was no "neutral" at idle speed, there was forward propulsion. I couldn't change to reverse either without killing it first.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chinman View Post
    ...after i started the first time there was no "neutral" at idle speed, there was forward propulsion. I couldn't change to reverse either without killing it first.
    Sounds like a mechanical problem with the reverse lever, cable or the reverse bucket.

+1
    killing it has nothing to do with reverse.. the lever is manual. the button has to be totally pushed in flat then moved to work. even if the engine was running, you should be able to move the bucket back n forth.. check the linkage for binding. your ski really has no neutral. its always going forward.. i guess you mean a low enough idle to keep ya still.. that would bea round 1250 rpms on the mfd. but still. its gonna wanna go forward on ya a little bit..

If I were to guess, I would say that the carbs at high speed are getting starved for fuel and it dies, then when you start it again, theres enough fuel to get it started and run normally..

Have you rebuilt the carbs or gone thru the fuel system? Everyone pretty much rebuilds the carbs, cleans screens and checks out the needles,in-line filters,seats,jets, diaphrams for condition and replaces any bad parts.

what color are these new fuel lines? do they say coast guard approved or are they colored clear type? Old lines sometimes have gunk in them and clog the screens in the carbs. that could prevent fuel flow and starve it at wot.

The fuel pump may be getting weak(bad diaphram)too. good till wot, then falls off.. but yet still runs at mid range no problem...

Thanks for the advice. I'm not a mechanic but I can manage thru most things. Is a carb rebuild something the avg Joe can do? I bought the manual so I'd have that. Might have to wait until spring I've put a lot of money in these lately.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information