Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Yamaha XLT1200 Engine failure

I have a 2004 XLT1200 with about 135 hours on it. I bought it as my first PWC at the end of last year with 85 hours. Someone else was using it and when I got it back they said it would only go about 30 MPH and sounded funny. I checked it out and found that cylinder 2 was not firing. I checked the compresion and found 1=110psi, 2=0psi and 3=100psi. After spending a few days reading post on here I decided to tear into it. I found that cylinder 2 was destroyed but the other 2 looked ok to me.(btw. I have never done any engine work but consider myself pretty mechanically incline since I work as a factory machine repair tech so any thoughts on the other cylinders based on images would be great). After looking on here I still am not 100% sure what all I should replace and do. I am thinking of replacing all three piston rings, replace piston 2, rebuild carbs with carb kit, send cylinder 2 to be fixed, and cleaning up all the debri in the crank housing and posably replacing the power valve for 2 since it is nicked. All three pistons seemed equally stable to the shaft. Doed this sound right? Also any other thoughts? I included a link to some high res pictures and attached the low res ones.
    http://candent.smugmug.com/photos/sw...AlbumKey=KQ8rj
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinder 1 top.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	214145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinder 1.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	214146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinder 2 inner.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	214147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinder 2 top.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	214148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinder 2-1.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	214149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinder 2-2.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	214150  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinder 2-3.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	214151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinder 3 top.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	214152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinder 3.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	214153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinders.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	214154  

Crash Test Dummy
    First thing you need to do is to figure out what caused the failure. The 3rd pic looks like the powervalve might have dropped and hit the piston, and the 7th pic looks like that kind of damage to the side of the piston. Never repaired one with a dropped powervalve, so someone who has needs to comment.

Once you figure out what caused it, there are several things you need to do; waveeater clips, check and secure the oil lines, other stuff that you can find out by reading some of the stickys. I'd go ahead and replace the crank since you have 135 hrs on it. It will fail at some point, and when you do you are gonna have to get a crank anyway, plus another piston, head, and cylinder repair.

Thanks Smitty. From what I saw I was thinking the powervalve dropped and hit the piston causing the failure or it was runing lean starting the event. I know the carb was in need of cleaning because it was difficult to start after sitting. Any recomendations on a good place to get a crank and piston. Can they be reconditioned? I saw the crank at rivaracing for almost $850. That with other parts puts me over the cost of having it rebuilt by someone else.

60% of the time, it works every time.
    Just finished my rebuild a week ago. This was the cheapest place I found to buy an OEM crank. (thanks OsideBill)
    www.yamahasportsplaza.com Clean and inspect everything as it looks lik you may have some metal floating around in there. If you can tear it down, you can put it back together. When its out of the ski it's easy as pie to see and get to whatever you need. I built the whole motor and installed it in the ski with the exhaust mani and carbs on, tight fit, but saved me from having to get into any tight spaces and pretty much only left me with the exhaust and a couple of lines once the motor was in. I'm no pro but PM me if you need any pointers on removal and or installation and I'll at least let you know what worked well for me. GL.

Ok so I am trying to figure out the cost of this rebuild to see if I should purchase a rebuilt engine or fix it myself. Below are the parts I think need replaced. Based on this cost it looks like it may be cheaper to buy a rebuilt engine. I saw one listed for 1299.00 from pwcengine.com. Is this a better option? I am trying to do this on a very limited budget.

Also what parts do I need to rebuild the carb? and what tools to pull the shaft to remove the lower part of the engine?

Part Qty Cost each Total
    Crank 1 633.77 633.77
    Piston 1 86.57 86.57
    Piston rings 3 25.40 76.20
    Piston pin 1 15.17 15.17
    Piston pin clip 2 0.95 1.90
    Upper piston bearing 3 19.11 57.33
    Upper piston bearing washer 6 0.99 5.94
    Cylinder* (rework existing?) 1 534.41 534.41
    Cylinder Gasket 3 9.59 28.77

To get the cylinder replated it costs about $250 try here they do good work http://www.mt-llc.com/Ordering/pricing.html not sure who quoted you 534 unless that is a new cylinder.

Yes that was for a new cylinder. I found that I can have one re-sleeved at pwcengine.com for $150. Even at that price I think it may be cheaper to get a rebuilt engine in the long run. Please if inyone has experience with pwcengine.com or know of better places let me know. I would prefer to find something local in Portland Oregon area but that doesn't look like an option.

+1
    sent you a pm.

Cheapest place we've found for OEM parts (any brand) is here http://www.hondaeasttoledo.com/OEMpartfinder.htm . Hope it helps, just finishing up a rebuild on mine and saved quite a bit going this route although I didn't need a crank.

Mike

Crash Test Dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveard View Post
    Yes that was for a new cylinder. I found that I can have one re-sleeved at pwcengine.com for $150. Even at that price I think it may be cheaper to get a rebuilt engine in the long run. Please if inyone has experience with pwcengine.com or know of better places let me know. I would prefer to find something local in Portland Oregon area but that doesn't look like an option.
    Don't get the cylinder resleeved; send it out to get replated. You can get that done for around $250 with new nickasil on it. "Resleeving" isn't accurate anyway, since it was never sleeved in the first place. Best to do it right.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information