Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

95 SLT 750 Fuel in pulse line

I have a 95 SLT 750. When I first take her out she runs fantastic but when I let off the throttle and try to accelerate again she won't get up and go. I notice that if I pull the pulse line off from the motor then turn it over, not with the key in it, it blows a little fuel out. I turn the motor over for maybe 15 - 20 seconds, hook the line back up and it runs fine for the most part for another 10 - 15 minutes then does it again. I have looked over the fuel pump and don't see any place where fuel is leaking back into the pulse line. Is there anyway it is picking up fuel inside the block? I am gonna get a new fuel pump and see what happens but was curious if it could be picking the fuel up internally. I'm open to all help on this matter and greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks much

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like the fuel pump diaphragm is leaking fuel.

If you are buying a new fuel pump, now would be the time to install a three outlet pump. If the fuel lines are old, replace them. Click my signature links for the details.

I already got a 3 outlet pump. I got it used and never got a rebuild kit (dumb a%%) What a difference they make. I read in one of the forums that a new pump isn't that much so I will get a new one instead of a rebuild kit. Is there a way besides the pump that I'm getting fresh fuel in the pulse line? I have about 118 psi in each cylinder and see no visible leak of any type. Got's me stumped and were headin out riding in a couple hours so if you have any info I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you much.

+1
    Personally, I would not ride it with a weakened fuel pump. If it gets worse, or even as it is, the fuel pressure may be low and cause a lean burn, which can melt holes in the pistons.

i will use my electric one and see if i still have the performance problem after the first ride. And I will keep an eye on the pulse line now that it wont be hooked up to the pump. Thank you.

I holded off takin her to the lake till i know things are right. still my main qurstion is , is there any other way to get fresh fuel in the pulse line besides through the fuel pump? Thank you much for your time and answers>

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalomoz View Post
    ... is there any other way to get fresh fuel in the pulse line besides through the fuel pump? ...
    Where else can it come from?

Sometimes small amounts of fuel mist will get into the pulse line from the crank case, but it should not amount to much.

Your pulse line should be angled so it drains into the engine. There should not be a low spot between the engine nipple and the pump itself, and the pump must be mounted higher than the engine fitting.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    If you have excessive fuel inside the engine case, that can get pushed into the pulse hose. Can be caused by a bad needle and seat, too low pop off pressure, a damaged anti-siphon valve, or just too large of jets installed.

As mentioned above, make sure the fuel pump is mounted above the pulse fitting. And keep the hose as short as possible.

Thanks guy's I appreciate your info. Before I run her again I will get a new pump and go through the carbs completley. Don't need a hole where one shouldn't be. (lol)

Check each carb and verify the P.O. is holding at least 17lbs, and they are the same.. (within 1 lb).
    http://www.watcon.com/Catalog_Pages/...olume_Pump.htm

And MAKE SURE that your pulse line isnt soft.. It must be solid enough to not collapse while running.

Regards,
    Randy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information