K447, i need your help.

I have a 2002 virage i 800. When ever we turn on the ski and accelerate, the ski goes ape sh!t. It revs all the way and won't stop. We pull the safety pin and it stays on for another 5 secs. This seems to be very dangerous and can't trust lt.

I ask for your help K447, because you seem to be the guru of polaris around here from the comment I read. Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASSICM3 View Post
    I have a 2002 Virage i 800. When ever we turn on the ski and accelerate, the ski goes ape sh!t.

It revs all the way and won't stop. We pull the safety pin and it stays on for another 5 secs.

This seems to be very dangerous and can't trust it...
    Welcome to the Hulk

I agree that the behavior you describe is dangerous. Especially if the engine does not shut down immediately when the lanyard is pulled.

Unlike a carburetor engine, the fuel injected engine can not 'death rev' or diesel, since there is no fuel mixed into the engine intake air. For the engine to continue running after the lanyard is pulled, the EMM must continue to inject fuel, which means the EMM doesn't think the kill switch has been activated.

Either the lanyard kill switch is failing (or the wires to the switch are shorting), or the EMM needs repair.

Investigate the lanyard switch with an ohm-meter. Confirm that it has very high ohms when the lanyard is in place, and zero ohms when the lanyard is pulled out. Check it through multiple cycles. The lanyard switch must show zero ohms every time, as soon as the lanyard is pulled out.

Look for binding or anything that may be mechanically preventing the switch from reacting the instant the lanyard is removed.

If the above doesn't reveal the problem source, remove the large 40-pin EMM connector, and clean all the contacts in the connector and EMM with electrical contact cleaner. Use a non-residue type cleaner. Also clean the wire contacts at the switch.

You want clean metal-to-metal connections at every connector. If you find corrosion in any of the contacts, it needs to be cleaned up.

Do NOT ride the machine again until this problem is solved. If you need to test on the trailer, put it into Reverse, which will limit engine RPM to about 3500RPM.

Note: You can water test by strapping the hull firmly down to the trailer front and back, then backing it down the launch ramp until the jet pump intake is well submerged. You can now run it as needed to diagnose and sort out the problems. You can even apply throttle - just make sure the nose of the PWC cannot shift forward, and the tow vehicle parking brake is engaged.

Regarding the run away engine RPM when you accelerate. It may be an EMM problem, or it could just need a new TPS. I recommend buying a new Throttle Position Sensor, as it is always a good idea to have a spare on hand.

You can find part numbers and lots more info in my signature links below

Thanks k447. Wow that EMM is super expensive. Probably worth more than the damn pwc. I will start with the tps and see where we go from there.

K447, Is the EMM repairable and by who? Also where do you recommend I can replace the emm without spending 1200 bucks. thanks

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    yes..repairable..the only place to go to is dfi...not there quite yet..and it will cost you far less then a new emm ( assuming you could even find one)

for now

unplug the tps and see if/the engine idles

confirm running battery voltage with a meter

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    yes..repairable..the only place to go to is dfi...not there quite yet..and it will cost you far less then a new emm ( assuming you could even find one)

for now

unplug the tps and see if/the engine idles

confirm running battery voltage with a meter
    Will do peter. Can you get me a website for dfi? Thanks for you help

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASSICM3 View Post
    ...website for dfi?...
    Click my signature links - look under Ficht

Thread Information