+1

Metal Shavings in Starter housing

How bad is this? I know the cheap china starter went bad but sticking my finger in the housing and i got a bunch of metal shavings out. The are all shiny/aluminum color. The starter/bendix gear feels good. No teeth damage I can feel. Rotates freely one way and holds the next.

Does this mean those metal shavings can get into the engine oil system and ruin it? Or is this oil system closed off from the engine?

I seem to have gotten it all out just with my finger. It has on the thick collar portion of the housing. I didn't feel/get any from the inside.

I'm a little leary about this.

+1
    So I'm looking at removing this stator housing to make sure their is no debirs in there and it looks as if the engine has to come out?

Appears the front engine mount is on the stator cover?

Yes it would be best to to pull the motor out. It can be done in hull but i wouldnt suggest it since you are new to ultras. You dont want any of those shavings getting into the check valve feeding the #1 cylinder.

+1
    I'm pretty good at this type thing...I do not want to go through all the hell that is pulling the engine. Why is there a check valve on the stator oil? I thought this oil was separate from the rest. Where does this oil come from and go t is what I'm after. I don't think anything got past the collar but who knows. Could be something torn apart in the stator? It was all very fine slivers right where the O-ring on the starter goes through.

Give me some direction on what needs to be done to remove the cover with the engine in please.

+1
    The stator case and the case at the other end of the engine are fed oil from the oil pump. This oil moves into the #1 and #3 cylinder via a checkvalve. This checkvalve is located in the lower half of the cases.

The oil pump delivers oil to 5 places.

#1 cylinder (via carb)
    #2 cylinder (via carb)
    #3 cylinder (via carb)
    Stator Case
    Rear Case

The output from the pump varies depending on where it is going. The #1 and #3 cylinders do not receive as much oil as the #2 cylinder, because those jugs get some oil via the checkvalve that is fed from the front and rear case.

The front stator case holds about 2 cups of oil - thats what typically sits in it from day to day. There is a sight glass on the front of the case - starboard side - that you can look at to check the level. The fill plug is at the top of the case. If you remove the case or the starter - the oil all spills into bilge. Upon reinstallation of either - you'd have to fill the case with the 2 cups of oil to get it to it's operating level.

Inside this forward case is the balance gear and it's bearing, the flywheel, mag, stator, starter gearing, and the previously mentioned checkvalve.

As far as direction goes to remove while installed, I would imagine it is the same as when the engine is out - except a much more difficult job. (at least as far as the case goes, obviously you don't have to deal with engine removal)

btldigger is an expert on this stuff. If I had to do the job, and wanted to do it in the machine - I would suck the oil out of the case via the fill plug before I started - getting out as much as possible. Just to reduce mess. Then I would put rags down in the bilge to catch the last bit - and tilt the machine in the direction I wanted it all to go towards. Then I would just refer to the service manual and pretend the entire thing was on the bench, doing the contortionist routine instead. Probably have to use an inspection mirror and a good light for some of it.

Pulling the engine is not that big of a deal in the Ultra. I just hoisted the back of mine to do a shaft log and it wasn't hard at all. A few more things to disconnect - but would make the actual task at hand easier. Also - sounds like maybe it would be a good opp for you to take a look at your oil lines and maybe replace them. If you don't know what the pump feeds, I'm just guessing you haven't looked at them.

As for the source of the shavings - I can't help you there. Lot's of stuff inside that front case that spins.

+1
    Can someone give me a run down on removing the engine?

Thread Information