Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

2002 Virage i 800 DI will not start

Question on the 2002 Virage i with 128 hr.

I picked the 2002 Virage i 800 DI and was told it was last running very slugesh and the back piston was not getting gas/power????
    I did the following
    Compression 175psi on both front and back
    Both Plugs getting spark
    took air cleaner off and poured some gas in
    It now started but cuts off as soon as the gas is gone
    Did the "bypass" fuel pump test with the brown wire and could hear the pump OK
    Hooked up a presure gauge and it was 22psi and 32psi when I clamped it off.
    I keep the fuel pump jumped and put a bit more gas in and fired it up it ran and as long as I held the red start button down I think it would keep running but I did have to goosing the gas to keep it running.

What is my next step?

Thanks
    Doug

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    As I suggested via PM (I think), you can bypass the LR-503 Start/Stop module for a test.
    Quote Originally Posted by macdoo
    That is it will it not run start if that is missing?

...I cranked it up one last time and it ran for 3 sec then when I tried to start it the starter is not engaging did it over heat all it does is wzzzzzzzzz not engaging

took the plugs to do a 2nd compression test maybe when I get back it may work or is the starter gone?

The water injector is right by the drive shaft?
    Water injection solenoid is normally found on the left side of the engine, tucked up under the big exhaust pipe.

Your battery may be weak. Verify it can deliver more than 10.6 volts while cranking.

+1
    I found it and it must have been replaced. I am thinking the starter is ok I pulled it by removing the exhaust manifold and the exhaust part of the way to get to it........most likely a lot of extra work.

I pulled the starter and it’s way different from the ones in a seadoo I have. I hooked it up to a charger that is also a jumper and it made the same noise it does when it is in the jetski.
    I will double check the battery to make sure it is putting out over 10.6 volts at crank. If the battery is good and the starter is good could the smaller gear that the starter engages into be broken, by holding that start button in to long? I also pulled the shaft cover off and rotated the drive shaft before I removed the starter. Then I tried to start it and the shaft would move maybe 4 degrees very little and othere time not at all.
    Any more ideas? It was turning over with out a problem and I am not sure if I broke something inside the motor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by macdoo View Post
    ...I pulled the starter and it's way different from the ones in a Seadoo I have.

...could the smaller gear that the starter engages into be broken...
    A Polaris is not a SeaDoo - quite different in a number of ways

The starter motor drives a Bendix gear assembly located inside the flywheel housing. If the starter is spinning strongly and the battery voltage is good, but the engine is not cranking, then the Bendix is not engaging with the flywheel.

To get to the Bendix you must remove the flywheel cover. Then you can see the flywheel and the Bendix. If the flywheel teeth are good and the flywheel has not become loose, then the Bendix is probably stuck.

To remove the Bendix you must remove the flywheel first.

No need to remove the starter motor to change the Bendix.

+1
    Thanks, Where do I down load the PDF manual for the 2002 Virage i on Green Hulk?

+1
    One more question can the Bendix be realined or adjusted? What makes them go bad? How can you tell if it is bad and where is a good place to get one?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by macdoo View Post
    ...What makes them go bad?

...where is a good place to get one?
    Rust, corrosion, wear, lack of lubrication.

Parts Sources are listed in my signature links.

+1
    Well I got the flywheel off but there is bad news. When I was trying to start it I heard a clunk then the starter would just rev up but not engage. pulled it and the teeth looked good and tested it and seem to run strong. So back to the flywheel after pulling it made a loud noise when it came off I saw 2 springs and some other parts on the deck. Yep they were part of the bentex pulled it out and it was messed up big time. Then I looked at the flywheel and notice that one of the magnets as missing 1/4 of then I looked inside the housing and saw parts of magnet all around I pulled as much out as I could with the motor in. Wow and I thought this was going to be a simple fix. PWC no= simple fix! SO now should I pull the motor or just the stater and clean it off.
    Is it damaged beyond repair? What other flywheels will fit a 800 DI? Biggest question did I do this or was this about to happen and this was why the motor would not start or keep running once I put fuel in it?
    I found a bendex for $50 in Ga but now I need a flywheel and maybe a stater??? Any ideas and beat people to get replacements from?

Am I my own worst enemy or was this just going to happen?
    Thanks
    Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	214412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0099.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	214415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	214416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0114.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	214419  

+1
    Sometimes the magnets on the six magnet Ficht flywheel do let go.

Later on Polaris changed to a 12 magnet flywheel on the MSX 140 engine (much better design, and the magnets stay in place), and that is the upgrade flywheel for your engine.

Another six magnet flywheel in good condition will work, of course, but you can't really tell if the magnets are going to stay put with vibration, heat, and time.

I suggest you pull the stator out and visually examine it closely. If the stator has been damaged, now would be the time to change it. All Ficht stators are the same (all models and years).

Part numbers and Parts Sources can be found in the Ficht links from my signature.

BTW, remove the CPS sensor from the top of the flywheel housing and make sure it has not been damaged.

If you don't have one, order a new TPS when you are buying parts. It is always good to have a spare TPS, and when you need one there is no substitute.

+1
    Do you think it was not producing enough volts to make the injectors work and that’s why it would not start unless I poured gas in the cylinders? I will look for the better flywheel and will pull the stator out tonight and post some pics of it. Not sure what I am looking for in a good vs bad one. If the flywheel pull was not even would that have caused the magnet to come off or does the pic show old ware to you?

Thanks again for your help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information