Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EGT"S

+1

EGT"S

Can you put egt sensors in the head pipes and regulate fuel mixture from those readings? Wouldn't that be a good way to regulate fuel mixtures if you could get a reading from each pipe? on the Pro it would be different than a 1 piped ski.(log)..

+1
    Yes you can but you need to go through the manifolds not the pipe due to it's waterjacket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02012.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	214293  

+1
    Yeah, thats why I said Head Pipe instead of Triple pipe.. My buddy who builds high performance racing motorcycles was mentioning that I could tune the ski just by the egts to get to the best stoichiometric ratio.. 14.7/1. Then your right on. Have you tuned your ski just by the egt numbers?. I like the idea.

something like this gauge? a wide band? I guess I would need three of them to monitor all three head pipes.. That would be neat to be able to adjust the pipes on the fly. just turn the screws in and tune as necessary..

would the oil in the mix throw off the reading? the oil takes up some of the volume of the liquid being burned..(gas and oil mix). not true gasoline burn.. that would lower the reading I bet.. But it would still work..

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Tom, I think your mistaking tuning by using a Fuel/Air gauge vs a EGT gauge...2 different beast.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    Yeah, thats why I said Head Pipe instead of Triple pipe.. My buddy who builds high performance racing motorcycles was mentioning that I could tune the ski just by the egts to get to the best stoichiometric ratio.. 14.7/1. Then your right on. Have you tuned your ski just by the egt numbers?. I like the idea.

something like this gauge? a wide band? I guess I would need three of them to monitor all three head pipes.. That would be neat to be able to adjust the pipes on the fly. just turn the screws in and tune as necessary..

would the oil in the mix throw off the reading? the oil takes up some of the volume of the liquid being burned..(gas and oil mix). not true gasoline burn.. that would lower the reading I bet.. But it would still work..
    egt's are great IF you know what number you are looking for to FINE TUNE a ski...but to put 1 set on and use it to tune a ski in --you run the risk of blowing it up..800 degrees or 1375 dergrees
    it can be done with no problems but ,,,,,
    you should use the wash to tune it in and the egt's to adjust the low speed and high speed jets making them as close or synced as possible ,making the most balanced power the motor can produce

+1
    I thought from the gauge it would tell you what the ratio to air/fuel is? with a number,,,such as..14,7 being spot on and 15.4 being lean and so forth.. I was told I would need a wideband type also..

I understand the egt just tells exhaust temp, but i though it gets converted into a number on the gauge showing what the ratio is based off the voltage created from the air mixture flowing by it..
    or is that an entirely different gauge?

My exhaust guy told me i could get a gauge that toggles between the 3 sensors. so only 1 gauge is needed going that route..

Also, theres the issue with oil in the mixture too. cars and boatsand motorcylces dont have 2-stroke oil mixed with the gas and that would make it leaner right off the bat..

Matt, How would you adjust the lows and highs with it after the wash is good?

It's an interesting idea if would work and be safe. big difference from 800 to 1300degress.

has anyone ever tried this?
    Thanks for the insight.. just trying to understand how it all works.

+1
    Wideband O2 gauge is different then EGT. The wideband sensor will not last long in a two stroke engine and at $70 a pop for the sensor it can get spendy. I had EGT and wideband on the conversion and the wideband for a boosted 4-stroke is easier to tune then EGT but on a two stroke EGT is a good tuning tool along with piston wash.

+1
    I thought from the gauge it would tell you what the ratio to air/fuel is? with a number,,,such as..14,7 being spot on and 15.4 being lean and so forth.. I was told I would need a wideband type also..

I understand the egt just tells exhaust temp, but i though it gets converted into a number on the gauge showing what the ratio is based off the voltage created from the air mixture flowing by it..
    or is that an entirely different gauge?

My exhaust guy told me i could get a gauge that toggles between the 3 sensors. so only 1 gauge is needed going that route..

Also, theres the issue with oil in the mixture too. cars and boatsand motorcylces dont have 2-stroke oil mixed with the gas and that would make it leaner right off the bat..

Matt, How would you adjust the lows and highs with it after the wash is good?

It's an interesting idea if would work and be safe. big difference from 800 to 1300degress.

has anyone ever tried this?
    Thanks for the insight.. just trying to understand how it all works.
    you are still comparing apples to grapefruits -hahahah
    no converting going on...
    AF meters --display air/fuel ratio
    EGT meters --display Exhaust Gas Tempsar
    you would adjust needles to get the same temp across the 3 displays almost like using vacuum stick to sync carbs on a streetbike
    ps they are realy only used to get they the absolute best power from a motor because they let you bring it right to the edge of meltdown/reliability then add a tiny bit more fuel to keep it alive for at least the afternoon...

+1
    ok..lol got ya.. i understand now.. right to the edge for at least the rest of the afternoon..lol thats funny....

so an egt is way to go then.. so a o2 sensor would be toast pretty quick. I read that before on here somwhere it wouldnt last long.. sounds like piston wash is the best way to see whats going on.
    so anyways,,, i could install 3 egts and have a gauge reading the temps of each..(if they make such a gauge that displays 3 temps) or at least toggles thru them.

at least it would give you an idea where your at.. lets say no.1 cyl is perfect wash.. then you check the egt. it says 859.. then lets say your middle is way rich, the egt says 740. could you lean it out in that cylinder until it reaches the 859? or near 800 anyways, and check the wash again?.

or is piston wash and top rpm the best way to tell ?

I would like to install them. sounds pretty neat.. kinda like a jet with the egt gauges for the compressor and turbine temps.

+1
    o
    at least it would give you an idea where your at.. lets say no.1 cyl is perfect wash.. then you check the egt. it says 859.. then lets say your middle is way rich, the egt says 740. could you lean it out in that cylinder until it reaches the 859? or near 800 anyways, and check the wash again?.
    ding ding Perfect

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information