fuel consumption

anyone know if the sho is any better on fuel than the seadoos. had an 05 rxt sc and it was terrible on fuel, its tough keeping your thumb light, i know but that thing was just ridiculous on fuel. or where i can find fuel consumptions on seadoo & yamaha. i tried their websites for specs but no luck.

+1
    Yamaha is 20% better and allows the use of regular I saw somewhere that the seadoo used 4mpg while the sho used 5mpg.

http://www.pitchengine.com/yamahawat...-buys--/59599/

http://www.pitchengine.com/yamahawat...costs--/61066/

Yamaha WaveRunners Save Hundreds of Dollars in Maintenance Costs
    Two Year Maintenance Costs of Competitive Watercraft Are Up To Four Times More
    04.29.2010 – Kennesaw, Ga. – Yamaha Watercraft Group, a division of Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA, today announced that Yamaha WaveRunners® have the lowest required 2 year maintenance among the major personal watercraft brands, making Yamaha the easiest and least expensive personal watercraft to own. In some cases, competitive personal watercraft require maintenance that is three to four times that of Yamaha, adding several hundreds of dollars of additional ownership costs to customers, year after year.

“The experience customers have with their personal watercraft extends beyond their time on the water and into their total ownership experience of that watercraft,” said Scott Watkins, Product Manager for Yamaha’s WaterCraft Group. “We’ve taken steps to make that ownership experience as easy and inexpensive as possible. Requiring minimal maintenance, while being the most fuel efficient and most reliable PWC on the market, saves our customers thousands of dollars over the long haul and helps them spend less time driving to service appointments and more time on the water enjoying their watercraft.”

In a comparison of two year required maintenance among the major personal watercraft manufacturers and a survey of dealerships’ service departments, several areas of differentiation emerge:

Yamaha 2 Year Required Maintenance:
    • Engine oil change, clean adjust spark plugs

Sea-Doo® 2 Year Required Maintenance:
    • Sea-Doo® requires a supercharger clutch replacement every 100 hours with an average dealer cost exceeding $600.
    • The closed loop cooling system used by all Sea-Doo® models requires coolant replacement at 2 years, while the other brands did not require any cooling maintenance.
    • Sea-Doo® is the only manufacturer to require the intercooler to be flushed in addition to the exhaust after salt water use
    • Sea-Doo®’s electronic controls require additional maintenance with the friction sleeves and locking sleeves requiring replacement after 1 year

Kawasaki® 2 Year Required Maintenance:
    • Kawasaki® requires the inspection and refilling of the supercharger gear oil at 50 hours, as well as an inspection of the supercharger drive belt and tension every 25 hours.

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    I would've thought the Sea-Doo uses less fuel having 3 cylinders as opposed to 4... But I don't mess around with them 4 stroke skis anyway... Too expensive fo' my ass... I had a catastrophic 13,500 Rpm nuclear meltdown on my 04 YZ250F a few years back... It was so expensive to fix (and only one cylinder at that) I've had nothing but two smokes since then (besides my trucks).

+1
    Don't know the major work on a 4 stroke would be...a 2 stroke is a simpler to rebuild and work on...but you can't hide the fact that a MODIFIED/GO FAST 2 stroke is a gas and oil guzzler...if I would give an estimate compared to my friends RXP(modified) and AQUATRAX,I'm doing $600-700 more a year if you include the oil...it hurts..

Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    Don't know the major work on a 4 stroke would be...a 2 stroke is a simpler to rebuild and work on...but you can't hide the fact that a MODIFIED/GO FAST 2 stroke is a gas and oil guzzler...if I would give an estimate compared to my friends RXP(modified) and AQUATRAX,I'm doing $600-700 more a year if you include the oil...it hurts..
    Im averaging 4mpg with mostly over 7K riding.
    dave, a lot of people overlook the cost of the oil, except those of us that go thru it like mad... I top off the tank after every ride and I`m already over 2 cases... so that`s over 200.00 in oil right there...and for those premixing add another 1/3 easily...

IIRC the Sho will run smooth out of gas in 56 mins thats running wide open though. If i remember correctly my FX 140 is supposed to run out of gas in 1.5 hours running wide open at 55mph as where the SHO is, for lack of knowledge, we will go with 68mph
    So in theory the FX should go 86 miles and the SHO about 67miles ???

+1
    Luv to know what the VXRs gas milege is gonna be.... NOT WHAT Yamaha claims.... for a high performance ski I bet she's pretty sweet on gas as she looks even with an 1812 displacement engine and 11.-1. compression ratio....hey PR you got VXR fever yet...

Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    Luv to know what the VXRs gas milege is gonna be.... NOT WHAT Yamaha claims.... for a high performance ski I bet she's pretty sweet on gas as she looks even with an 1812 displacement engine and 11.-1. compression ratio....hey PR you got VXR fever yet...
    hahahaha dont listen to any of those fools. Im not getting a VXR......

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    Yes High powered 2 strokes suck down alot of gas/ oil. Not debating that. But a 4 stroke has all those extra (expensive) parts: Camshafts, Valves, valve springs, retainers, seats, pushrods, timing chain, oil pump, superchargers on many skis... And if water finds its way into the oil somehow (which seems pretty common on here) Ca-Ching $$$$$... Big bux after spending HUGE bucks on the ski to begin with. My Ultra 150 is estimated to go about 60-70 Miles on a tank, Roughly 4± Mpg. I'm thinking the SHO I rode must've had excessive impeller clearance or something, My Ultra wrecked it every time we lined them up. Acceleration and on the top end. IN CHOP!!! Now I don't claim to know all that much about the 4 stroke skis but IMO something's gotta be wrong if it's supposed to be running 68.

Yami SC sho cruisers get about 5-5.5mpg. Doos get about 4.6-5mpg from what i gather from my friends that run those jets.

Thread Information