Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

need a very good machine shop!!!!

Hey guys I need a threaded insert made thats 11mm x 1.25 outside and 8mm x 1.5 on the inside. I know im gonna have to pay but does anyone know of a shop who could make me this? Thanks guys!

Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slydogge View Post
    Hey guys I need a threaded insert made thats 11mm x 1.25 outside and 8mm x 1.5 on the inside. I know im gonna have to pay but does anyone know of a shop who could make me this? Thanks guys!
    Contact either Osidebill or Beerdart, I think both of them have a lathe.

+1
    I just posted on your other thread fill me in. Lee

+1
    to make that properly you might need a screw machine.. thats a rather small workholding...

Would be easy if you went to a 12mm OD use a stainless bolt and drill and tap it on a lathe. 11mm is a bit of and oddball, also oddball tap to get.

ok I guess I will go in on the story...

A headbold I noticed had come loose on the number 3 cyl. I went to tighten it and there were no threads. I dig through some heli-coil kits and find one small blue bag with the 8mm coils. So ater tearing it down and making sure it was level I get the drill bit out of the bag and start to drill it. Right as I started to drill I was thinking man this is a big a$$ drill bit for a 8mm heli coil! yep it was cause it was the drill bit for the 11mm!!! I had two damn tap kits in one bag! I went ahead and just tapped it and put the 11mm coil in. If I go up to a 12mm I think it would hit the water jacket!

now I need to get this hole back to the 8mm size!

Hey Lee I found the time sert website but I cant find out on there what the outside and inside thread pitch is? I see what the inside is but not the outside diameter? You think they might make one that works?

Oh and thanks again guys for the input. I cant believe I screwed this up so badly! lol

No big deal if you hit the water jacket and your using a solid insert like a 12mm bolt drilled and tapped on the inside. Just file a slot in the top or use a dremel and then use a flat screwdriver to screw it it. Use red loctite on the insert to the jug and use a sealant (pipe dope) or even blue loctite for between your insert and your bolt. Finding odd ball inserts and taps may be difficult. You could also use an imperial bolt, the OD can be whatever you want or can get, it does not have to be metric.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slydogge View Post
    ok I guess I will go in on the story...

A headbold I noticed had come loose on the number 3 cyl. I went to tighten it and there were no threads. I dig through some heli-coil kits and find one small blue bag with the 8mm coils. So ater tearing it down and making sure it was level I get the drill bit out of the bag and start to drill it. Right as I started to drill I was thinking man this is a big a$$ drill bit for a 8mm heli coil! yep it was cause it was the drill bit for the 11mm!!! I had two damn tap kits in one bag! I went ahead and just tapped it and put the 11mm coil in. If I go up to a 12mm I think it would hit the water jacket!

now I need to get this hole back to the 8mm size!
    Why do you need 8mm ID thread? Can you use a custom make a stud with 11mm thread on one end and 8mm on the other?
    Let me know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information