What's the Buzz?

I was cruising today on my MSX 150, and as I accellerated, A buzzer would go off until I backed off the throttle a little. I wasn't even close to WOT (more like half-throttle), so I turned around and went back to the dock. I've gone through the manual, but I could find no info about a buzzer. I received no other indicators--no high-temp light, no reduced rpms, and no other problems with performance at all. The ski is running fantastically. Anyone know what this buzzer is buzzing about? If so, where (exactly) is it coming from?

Thanks,

FLN

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    It was an electronic buzzer, not some piece of plastic trim rattling with engine vibration?

Check the metal mesh 'grills' on each side of the cowling. They can work loose and vibrate.

buzz

It definately a warning buzzer of some kind. I did check what you suggested, however; but no go. Anyone else want to guess?

FLN

+1
    No buzzer Fitted!, I would suspect the Bosch blow off valve, They leak. not life threatening just bl**dy anoying

Kosh:

Thanks for the reply! Are you talking about the round, black valve at the end of the hose that splits off from the intake pipe and fits into the brachet attached to the outside of the intercooler on the intake side of the motor?

If so, keeping in mind what you said about it leaking, what could make the pop-off valve trigger? Could it be overboost? I don't know if you remember, but I was having problems with the waste gate linkage, or at least I THOUGHT it was the linkage. Turned out to be two minor leaks. Once remedied, the wastegate began doing its job again, and RPMs now reach Max easily. Everything got sorted out, but I wonder if I could possibly be creating the pop-off condition by having the wastegate open either too far or not enough, and I need to make an adjustment? I remember once, when I had the linkage too short, it severely affected performance--made it hardly able to run at all, in fact, until I adjusted the linkage to open more.

Of course, I can begin by adjusting the linkage in very small amounts and see what it does. The wastegate itself doesn't have a problem, however. I've never heard the buzzing sound I am now hearing, and the only thing I've even remotely touched in months, is the wastegate linkage.

What do you think about that? Could too short or too long be causing the pop-off sound?

Thanks again for your reply, it's been a while since I was on Greenhulk, and it's good to see that you and the handful of regular greenhulk ski-heads are still around.

FLN

+1
    Hi FLN,

Even when your Ski is fine you are expected to drop in

I suspect that because your ski is now running correctly and producing the required boost pressure it has shown up the inability of the Bosch valve to seal under normal operating conditions.
    Yes your description fits the part perfectly. Your machine will work with out it if you wanted to test that it is at fault, Just plug the hoses when you remove it. Best to put one back on though.

Desperado did some testing and gave some part numbers of better performing items, I will post them if I can find the info.

I put a HKS ssq copy blow off valve on mine it removed the noise forever. Mine only wanted to leak (buzz) at part throttle normally not a problem but when towing skiers etc it annoyed the cr*p out of me.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bosch BOV.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	214444  
    Last edited by Kosh; 09-16-2010 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Attachment

Thanks, Kosh. The problem you outlined with your blow-off valve is exactly the problem I'm having. I ordered one of the ones in your email.I wanted clarify something:

Being that my pop-off valve is leaking, wouldn't it be leaking boost pressure? If so, shouldn't I see a reduction in performance--even just a little? Is the vacuum line pressure involved somehow. Also, given what you said about the ski working without the blow-off, do you think there's any danger in running without it for a few days while I'm waiting for the new one?

As usual, thanks for your input.

+1
    Hi FLN,

Here is some info from the manual.

The 110 and 150 engine platforms utilize the same turbocharger assembly.
    The 110 engine’s charge air cooler is smaller and thus, less efficient than the 150’s larger charge air
    cooler. The incoming air in a 150 engine will be denser and contain more oxygen then that in a 110
    engine.
    The 110 engine does not utilize the air intake purge valve. The purge valve prevents boost spiking.
    Boost spiking occurs when boost pressure rises abruptly when the throttle plate is closed by the operator.

You should be OK to operate without the valve in place, but you could leave it and just put up with the noise. If you were taking it easy and not chopping the throttle on and off the valve doesn't even come in to operation.
    The leakage is minimal just enough to cause the diaphragm to vibrate and annoy.

Cheers

Thread Information