Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ocean Pro 780 Carbs on my 96 SLT 780 and reed spacers

I was wondering if the Ocean Pro carbs from from a slx 780 fit on my 780 SLT? Also more importantly is there any benefit? I know that they look nice but I donít want to buy them just for looks.

Also I understand that the 96 780 came with reed spacers so I do not need to buy them. With the spacers they are suppose to help prolong the life of the reeds, is this true with after market reeds? I would like to replace the reeds when I rebuild the carbs, but I do not want to spend money on the aftermarket ones if they just wear out fast. Can any one help me out on this?

I guess a correction is needed, are Ocean pro FA from a SLX 780 worth putting on the SLT 780?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    You're not going to see a big gain in performance from using them VS the stock 780 F/A.

Your 780 already has reed spacers. And yes, they help with aftermarket reeds as well.

Save your F/A $$ and put it towards something else. Ride plate, reeds, high compression heads, SS 6 vane stator, etc....

Thanks for the help. I am planning on Boyesen Pro reeds and a carb rebuild kit for over the winter. I am hopping to do some tubing or skiing behind the ski so I might bore out a nozzle and jetworks valve to help me off the line.

As far as heads go it is probably a ways off but is milling a set my best option. Only after market one I can find is OP and no one is selling them.

Also for a ride plate the SLT is pretty stable on the water. Is it worth going for the OP ride plate or batwing? I can only find them new and SLT plates are over 150. Would it help with pulling a skier and getting to plane faster?

+1
    Hold off of the bored nozzle until you see what performance gains the other parts have got you.

Don't bother getting a Jetworks valve for your 780. The stinger pressure isn't high enough to open the valve and may damage your rubber exh hoses.

IMO, best option is to have your stock heads cut/reshaped for 92 octane fuel. Sharp's marine in Oswego NY does a great job and charges around $40 ea. (about the same cost as the OP head would cost)

We had a guy that absolutely loved the OP plate on his 97 SLT 780. Not quite sure how the batwing would be on that ski???

The 96 SLT 780 already has an extended ride plate, so I don't think you'll get faster planing, but you will get better steering from it.

Maybe do a search for Cliffy's review of the ride plate after he installed it. (use the search function using Cliffy as the original poster)

I'm kinda getting the feeling your SLT is really slow out of the hole from your posts. Kinda surprises me.

Take a look at your impeller and pump stator vanes for damage.

My friend just bought a 97 SLT 780 and has never once said it was a dog out of the hole. His SLTX he did, and that had a chewed up impeller and every stator vane had a chunk missing out of it.

My game plan for you would be:

1. Inspect your pump. Looking for bearings going bad, broken stator vanes, and damaged or incorrect impeller. (what's the part number stamped on your impeller?)

2. Rebuild the carbs for sure. Setting the adj screws to factory specs FOR YOUR YEAR.

3. Replace the reeds with performance ones while the carbs are off.

4. Replace all the old fuel hoses due to age.

5. Look for a Skat trak 15/20 swirl impeller.

6. Look for a used OP ride plate. Post a Wanted To Buy in the classifieds. Check Ebay and craigslist, etc....

After that stuff is done, THEN consider getting the heads redone, boring nozzles, etc....

The pump is fine, I just bought the ski and inspected it before I bought it. veins are good and impeller is in good shape. As for what is stamped on it I will have to look.

I have only had a chance to take it out twice after buying it. With one or two people the ski is great. The problem is the niece and nephews are to young to ride for some time for spotters. We were able to get my wife up no problem. But when it was me or my brother inlaw trying, both about 190, we had to feather the gas before we punched it, then it would not broke to plane even if we hung over the handle bars. I know I want to rebuild the carbs, and might as well do the lines and rebuild the pump while I am at it to take fix the issue.

Another issue is the skis were pretty narrow and we had a long rope for me and my brother.

Your plan looks about like what I had in mind other then the impeller. I guess I am going to have to start reading again about that.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    ...The 96 SLT 780 already has an extended ride plate...

1. Inspect your pump. Looking for bearings going bad, broken stator vanes, and damaged or incorrect impeller. (what's the part number stamped on your impeller?)...

6. Look for a used OP ride plate. Post a Wanted To Buy in the classifieds. Check Ebay and craigslist, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by kegonsa View Post
    The pump is fine... veins are good and impeller is in good shape.

...But when it was me or my brother inlaw trying, both about 190, we had to feather the gas before we punched it, then it would not broke to plane even if we hung over the handle bars.

Another issue is the skis were pretty narrow and we had a long rope for me and my brother.

Your plan looks about like what I had in mind other then the impeller. I guess I am going to have to start reading again about that.
    What RPM are you seeing at wide open throttle in the water?

Once you do get the engine revving from launch, does the RPM jump up to a high number, then settle down to a lower RPM once it gets up to top speed?

If the RPM is up where it should be at top speed, make sure the impeller blade clearance is within spec (max allowed is 20 thousand, good is 10 thousand or less). Also replace the seals in the through-hull bearing to ensure good sealing.

One thing that can kill low end acceleration is jet pump ventilation, where the pump suction draws air into the jet pump. It is important that the drive shaft seals and all the sealant for the pump ride plate, shoe and intake are in good shape.

The clue with ventilation (as opposed to cavitation) is that the poor thrust problem goes away as the hull speed through the water increases. Forward hull speed pressurizes the pump intake, and ventilation air leaks turn into water leaks in the other direction, which doesn't affect propulsion. Once you get some speed going, the ventilation ceases and pump thrust suddenly improves, and away you go.

Ocean Pro has two versions of their ride plate. The O version is longer than the R version.

+1
    Please let me know what your impeller # is.

And if you notice any odd looking damage to the impeller blades.

That skis is rated to caryy 500 lbs. Shouldn't be a problem pulling you and brother as long as everything is running correct.

Thanks for the help. I might get a chance to look tonight, other wise I am taking off to go up north for a couple of days.

For the rpms I am not sure what they were at. I was leaning over the MFD and was not looking. The engine is loud and working hard under load. When the nose comes down and starts to plane it accelerates. If the person being towed lets go it would take off. I don’t think I will get a chance to check before I winterize the ski as the water is getting cold.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Hang on here.

Are we talking about two heavy guys ON the ski, AND someone heavy being towed?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information