Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Cheap Air for the FZ's

Okay, I'm starting to get a little more free time where I may be able to start looking at these skis, and one of the first things I guess is getting rid of the stock air filter. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it unless I have to. My slower ski is doing 68.7 with just the new grate and VX plate, and I would like to get it up to about 70-71. I am experimenting with shims on the ride plate, but this thread is about air. Now I have been told that I have some options on the air...

1. Replace the stock air filter with an inexpensive cool air setup; hose and filter; I don't see myself spending $250-300 on a Riva PF. But I have been told I can get an elbow hose and filter set up made for a Honda at an auto parts store? If anyone had done this, can you please chime in and let me know exactly which part you used and what kind of gains you got from it. Would this be good for 1 mph, or is that wishful thinking and is this a waste of time.

2. Remove the restrictive ribbon; this is no secret. But I am not going to do this on my own, because I'm not really much of a wrencher (hate it actually) and from what I understand this is kind of a pain even for wrenchers. Plus, there is some indication on this forum that I would possibly be all over the limiter and then need to do further mods to the prop, etc. Basically, I'm looking for something I can do really easy myself and not have to hire a shop to do.

3. Other ideas on air? If you have them let me know, thanks.
    If it's not worth it then I might just focus on the ride plate and forget about the air for now. But my experience with Yamahas leads me to think that restrictive OEM air filter is eventually going to clog up and rob performance, so maybe getting rid of it would be good.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Heres my cheap intake setup. $7 dollar inverted cone filter and done deal.

Pointed the stock duct right at it too.

+1
    Now that's what I call simple and cheap.
    I was told to connect it with an elbow and put that filter up in the bow under the hood, but looks like you have basically the same thing I was talking about; is that an auto filter and did it come with the connector hose? Also, what gain did you get from this, if any...

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00930.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	214468i think you will see a small gain from an air intake if you dont do the ribon delete mod, that thing is really restricting the airflow, if you have the tools and some spare time youll be able to do the ribon mod yourself you really cant get lost with the riva instructions..

all the skis ive done with the air intake like the one pictured above, ribbon delete mod and freeflow exhaust have been on the rev limiter.

That air intake is to close to the engine ur goin to be taking alot of engine heat >>> whats cheap now can cause u more later ....

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RxPneco View Post
    That air intake is to close to the engine ur goin to be taking alot of engine heat >>> whats cheap now can cause u more later ....
    Not any worse than it was stock! Stock intake on these skis is ridiculous.

True but thats a open intake and he has the blow off valve right next to it too sow that make it a little more heat right next to it i pretty much recomend the riva one

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RxPneco View Post
    True but thats a open intake and he has the blow off valve right next to it too sow that make it a little more heat right next to it i pretty much recomend the riva one
    it really doesnt matter if the air going in the air filter is 100 degrees or 75 degrees, the supercharger will heat up the air to around 250 degrees anyways, before it dumps it into the intercooler. what people need to spend $$ on is a good intercooler to lower the AIT's as much as possible

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 305coco View Post
    it really doesnt matter if the air going in the air filter is 100 degrees or 75 degrees, the supercharger will heat up the air to around 250 degrees anyways, before it dumps it into the intercooler. what people need to spend $$ on is a good intercooler to lower the AIT's as much as possible

+1
    So listen up guys, is adding the item I am describing in option 1 worth it or not... do you think this OEM air filter will clog and start robbing speed or is this not an issue.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information