Thread: Towing a ski

Towing a ski

Okay guys, help me out here. Two weeks ago me and my dad purchased a pair of seadoos. One is a 2003 gtx 4tec supercharged in the other is a 2001 gti. We got them for $4000 because the guy was just rich and wanted them gone. When we got them, he made sure we knew that the gti was not in excellent shape and it may have some problems down the road. However, we have ridden them the last two weekends and both seemed fine. Anyway, i have always heard that it is bad to tow a ski back to the launch if it breaks down. So can somebody tell me what we should do if it does break down, and what are the effects that towing a ski can have on it.
    Thanks for your time,
    Zachary

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to GH.....first things first which ski are you talking about? the GTI? If thats the case you need to pinch the water in line with a pair of needle nose vise grips to effectively close the loop. as for the 03 GTX you need to post that in the 4 tec section

yes. it is the GTI i am referring too. and where is the water in line you are referring to? Sorry for all the questions but these are our first skis and neither one of them came with owners manuals

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    thats what this place is for...asking questions. there is a water line that is the water "IN" line for the cooling system. its one of the two black lines that attach to the back of the head. one, the water "IN" line is the one that comes from the pump... the other is the water "OUT" line that goes to the top of the transom where an exit pours onto the top of the pump.

can ya just take the water "in" line off and plug it instead of pinching it?

+1
    Water would then flood the hull of the ski. The pressure of the flowing water past the pump forces water to travel from the pump (through the line) to its intended destination.

+1
    THE BEST WAY is to install a plastic ball valve in the line so you can have it at your convenience any time

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXPSTUNNA View Post
    THE BEST WAY is to install a plastic ball valve in the line so you can have it at your convenience any time
    +1
    What he said!

just don't forget to open it when you ride again. they make hose pinchers with a wingnut. maybe sears has them if not the tool trucks definatly do. google hose pinchers and you'll find them. easier to carry too.

one other thought is that you can tow a ski with out pinching the hose but there is a limit as to the max tow speed, I believe it's not more then 15mph. If you don't have to be towed far this isn't bad.

Thread Information