Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Time to get back in the water... but not sure what to buy?

Hey guys I was here many years ago and had a GP1300R... I sold the ski a few years back with the intent to do a conversion ski but well lets just say I never started that project

Now that my daughter is a little older my wife and I want to get back in the water. I will be buying 2 skis (a used SXR800) and a sitdown of some sort.

My question is what ski do I buy? In the past I have always bought the fastest thing I could find but the main reason I got worn out of the 1300 was its lack of rough water performance. I do mainly lake riding on fairly busy lakes and I want something both my wife and I can ride that will not beat us to death like the 1300 and yet still halls ass when the lake is glass. Im not against a 3 seater as long as I do not give up to much performance. Is the FZS the way to go? the only 4 stroke I have ever ridden was a friend 2005ish ??? SHO and I will say that ski would NOT sute me do to lack of power and feeling more like a boat than a jetski, will the FZS feel the same way?

Im not stuck on Yamaha but I tend to lean that way (hense why I posted in the Yamaha section)

Thanks for any input and please lets not turn this into a brand bashing thread

+1
    Oops.....did someone say V..X..R.....seriously wait till the boat show and all the internet info is reported on all the new skis...if your dealer has a demo thats the best way or someone might have a ski you like and you can try,you are an exp. rider..good luck

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    Oops.....did someone say V..X..R.....seriously wait till the boat show and all the internet info is reported on all the new skis...if your dealer has a demo thats the best way or someone might have a ski you like and you can try,you are an exp. rider..good luck
    I read the big review on here of the VXR and my main concern is rough water stability. This will be more of a family ski than my 1300 was (mine was modified about the same as yours) and it just never made me happy on the rough water on the river it was a blast on smooth water though.

I would love to ride the Kawasaki but from what I read I think it will feel to big to me

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    I read the big review on here of the VXR and my main concern is rough water stability. This will be more of a family ski than my 1300 was (mine was modified about the same as yours) and it just never made me happy on the rough water on the river it was a blast on smooth water though.

I would love to ride the Kawasaki but from what I read I think it will feel to big to me
    +1 your right about rough water especially the way I have the rideplate set up and the ski in general...but some will argue its great in the rough..shredmaster plate,extended trim tabs the QSTS trim etc...its until you've ridden a variety of skis especially the 3 seaters...to be honest riding my friends RXP which is like 80 lbs heavier and a two seater... always compared to the GPR..the RXP handles much better...then again my old bones can't take the rough stuff for long periods..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    +1 your right about rough water especially the way I have the rideplate set up and the ski in general...but some will argue its great in the rough..shredmaster plate,extended trim tabs the QSTS trim etc...its until you've ridden a variety of skis especially the 3 seaters...to be honest riding my friends RXP which is like 80 lbs heavier and a two seater... always compared to the GPR..the RXP handles much better...then again my old bones can't take the rough stuff for long periods..
    I with ya on the old bones I really think I want the opposite of my old GPR... amazing in rough and crazy acceleration to 65-70. I found that even with my GPR that did 73 I would rairly go much past 40 do to rough ass water (only time I could really do speed runs where early in the morning or when where where camping on a big lake with coves) that being said the top speed as impressive as it was did me no good

The more I read I like the Ultra 260X but there is very limited aftermarket parts and not sure if I could ever make it accelerate from a dig like I would like?? The FZR sounds bad ass as well but with my wife and friends riding I cannot have a ski that will buck someone... no fucking way!

+1
    Damn dude, I just saw your name in my phone the other day and wondered where ya been. glad to have you back. I got myself a RXT-X and the family and I love it. It's big, fast, and plenty of storage. Eats up the rough water(not quite like my buddy's Ultra 250) but for me, it is great all around ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    My question is what ski do I buy? In the past I have always bought the fastest thing I could find but the main reason I got worn out of the 1300 was its lack of rough water performance. I do mainly lake riding on fairly busy lakes and I want something both my wife and I can ride that will not beat us to death like the 1300 and yet still halls ass when the lake is glass. Im not against a 3 seater as long as I do not give up to much performance. Is the FZS the way to go? the only 4 stroke I have ever ridden was a friend 2005ish ??? SHO and I will say that ski would NOT sute me do to lack of power and feeling more like a boat than a jetski, will the FZS feel the same way?
    I would say you are a good candidate for the FZS or the 215 RXT. Both of those will give you great performance; the RXT will give you a smoother ride in the lake chop and better ergonomics overall IMO. The stock FZS is going to be a bit faster top end, and responds very well to mods. Experience shows the FZS bucking issue is easily resolved using the R&D grate. I could not recommend the Kawi, too many major problems, plus they are really bad on fuel and it's more of a rugged slow hull, designed for open ocean anyway. They all have their strong points; just make sure you get an extended warranty on your purchase and have fun!

Just want to ride.
    +1
    I wouldn't discount the SHO either. It's a great three seater, has plenty of punch to 65 when the water is decent, and handles Lake Washington WAYYYYYY better than your 1300 did.

Ask me how I know.

I have the SHO and the FZR - I love them both, but for different reasons. Just did a 40 mile ride with the wife and 4 year old on Lake Tapps today on the SHO. Comfy, fun, easy to ride, stable, and not bad on 87 octane if you're just cruising around like we were. It has enough power to keep me occupied for a few minutes while the girls are on the dock, even when the water's rough on a Saturday or Sunday.

You're a modder at heart. I know it. So, you can start out bone stock and just add Jim's rideplate, intake grate, air intake, and remove the intake ribbon and you're pretty much 70, with all day comfort.

The FZR is more like the GPR as far as 'feel' - it's just as big as the SHO, but acts smaller - it turns harder, accelerates better, and is a little faster up top. But, it's a slightly wetter ride, and will also be a little 'rougher' on you on a Saturday at Coulon Park. It's a blast to ride solo, no doubt; I haven't even bothered to take the girls out on it though, due to the SHO being right next to it on the trailer........

Both have tons of upgrade potential, as you have obviously seen on the boards. Personally, for a 'family' runabout, I'd go to Hinshaws and snag the black 09 SHO leftover for $8999 they have sitting at the front door and head to the lake......

Good luck whatever you decide!
    Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by washingtonrider View Post
    I wouldn't discount the SHO either. It's a great three seater, has plenty of punch to 65 when the water is decent, and handles Lake Washington WAYYYYYY better than your 1300 did.

Ask me how I know.

I have the SHO and the FZR - I love them both, but for different reasons. Just did a 40 mile ride with the wife and 4 year old on Lake Tapps today on the SHO. Comfy, fun, easy to ride, stable, and not bad on 87 octane if you're just cruising around like we were. It has enough power to keep me occupied for a few minutes while the girls are on the dock, even when the water's rough on a Saturday or Sunday.

You're a modder at heart. I know it. So, you can start out bone stock and just add Jim's rideplate, intake grate, air intake, and remove the intake ribbon and you're pretty much 70, with all day comfort.

The FZR is more like the GPR as far as 'feel' - it's just as big as the SHO, but acts smaller - it turns harder, accelerates better, and is a little faster up top. But, it's a slightly wetter ride, and will also be a little 'rougher' on you on a Saturday at Coulon Park. It's a blast to ride solo, no doubt; I haven't even bothered to take the girls out on it though, due to the SHO being right next to it on the trailer........

Both have tons of upgrade potential, as you have obviously seen on the boards. Personally, for a 'family' runabout, I'd go to Hinshaws and snag the black 09 SHO leftover for $8999 they have sitting at the front door and head to the lake......

Good luck whatever you decide!
    Sean
    great feedback man! I really think I might have to buy two sitdowns (and the SXR)... I like the idea of a SHO on paper but I know I will love a FZR and regret not getting one.... damn I have expesnsive hobbies

Its great to be back here and looking forward to getting wet!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCKMYWAKE View Post
    Damn dude, I just saw your name in my phone the other day and wondered where ya been. glad to have you back. I got myself a RXT-X and the family and I love it. It's big, fast, and plenty of storage. Eats up the rough water(not quite like my buddy's Ultra 250) but for me, it is great all around ski.
    Its been to long! With my wife and I having a couple of kids and buying 2 new houses in the last 3 years its been crazy and I have not had time to even think about a ski! But that crap is behind me and time to play again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information