Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Getting the Ski's running...

I wish I could tell you guys all that has happened so you can get a base of where I am but I'm sure I will forget.

Here's my best shot....I'm looking for advice on what to do at this point to help them along. What should I check prior to dropping them in the water?

1..I bought 2 00 ultra's. Both needed starter's.

2..Got 2 starters. Boat 1, pulled plugs cranked her over and all 3 cylinders wet. Odd thing is the water seemed fairly new. It was clear and not rusty. I was still pissed. wd40's them and cleaned plugs. Spit spit etc etc. Dumped a lot of water out the exhaust...a lot. Did the whole clean cylinders out routine a couple times. Took the plugs from the other boat and put them in. Bam! fired right up and ran perfect. All 3 hitting and revving right out. Not on the hose mind you. I ran it for less than a minute. Did not get hot and felt pretty good to my ear. I haven't checked the oil yet in the stator and have no flush kit for them. I think I will go to Home Depot and make one. It's pretty much $5 in parts.

3..Boat 2...checked new (used OEM)starter and it is dead. Oddly enough, they sent 3 used OEM ones. 2 99-00 models and 1 01 and up fat model. It's friday and i was unhappy even after all this mess..I decided to try it..SOB fit right in. Either this block is modded for the newer starter or it has been replaced with a newer block.Whatever, slipped it in and she fired right up with the now dried out plugs from the other boat.

Sooo, there it is...lots of stress but they both run strong in the driveway. Guess my next step it to run them on the hose for awhile. All I have salt around here. Freshwater lake is about 30 minutes away.

Why would that 1st boat have water in all 3? It wasn't full at all but it spit it all out and 2 plugs had the gap closed from it. I never cranked it with the new starter. Someone knew about this. It feels slightly less strong than the other boat....slightly.

What should I do about oil and the lines? I know to check and fill the stator and the oil lines look new. As does everything in the engine bay.

Trim doesn't work on either.

+1
    Sounds like somebody ran it on the hose and left the water running when they shut off the engine. Not good! Better pull the carbs/reeds and carefully look inside the crankcase to see if the crank & bearings are rusty. It may run fine today and blow up in your face next week...

+1
    and what's that going to accomplish? I highly doubt it got water in the crankcase. I think it got rolled over the wrong way. It doesn't even have a flush kit on it.

What's the fix to the lower end if it has water in it?

+1
    You don't want to know what the 'fix' is to the lower end if the water rusted everything out.

Rebuilt cranks run between 475-550 depending on source and assuming your core is acceptable.

These older Ultras are always one problem away from being parts machines. There's a reason why ebay has one endless stream of Ultra 150 parts.

I don't know what your goals are with these 2 machines, so what you do next is up to you. I just got an old 550 running for a buddy. It had water in it. Plugs showed water, nice spurts of water coming out when it cranked. Took awhile to clean it out. Had good compressions and it started once everything was in order. It's been running for a week. Last time it ran was in June. That means it sat with water in the case for 3 months. Will it keep running? Dunno. Will it explode? Dunno.

Will your Ultra explode tomorrow if you take it to the water? Maybe. Will it explode because of the water in the case? Maybe, but it could just as easily explode because a carb is dirty and it leans a cylinder out, breaking the piston, and sending frags into the close tolerance case - grenading out through the bottom of the case.

If you want to make it perfect, you will have to tear into it and check it all out. These older machines are usually about 3-5 owners and 100hrs of hacking bundled up into neat little packages we call jetskis. Its amazing what some people (some of whom call themselves mechanics) will do to a piece of equipment.

My buddy with the 550 - when the water came out he said "good thing I didnt put it away for the winter like that"

And that pretty much sums up your typical jetski owner's technical knowledge of PWC mechanics. His biggest concern was what if the water had frozen over the winter. No concern at all over water sitting in a crankcase for 3 months.

+1
    You said a mouthful on that one witness140..I've been over this thing and over it. The guy I got it from was the original owner. His neighbor is a aircraft mechanic and was the one to work on it. His work shows. No buggered bolts threads or forgotten items. Lets hope the water in the cylinders was a fluke and I caught it soon enough.

I've run this thing several times now and it acts great, just like the other one. I've heated it good on the hose and she just purrs along. I'm also running a little oil in the gas to be safe. All my lines are pissing strong and the heads feel more or less the same temp. I'm gonna run it in the water good and temp gun the heads to be sure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shore View Post
    and what's that going to accomplish? I highly doubt it got water in the crankcase. I think it got rolled over the wrong way. It doesn't even have a flush kit on it.

What's the fix to the lower end if it has water in it?
    You said it spit out a bunch of water and you asked what to do, I gave you an answer. I'd bet the seller fired it up on the flush hose before you came to buy it and left the water running. You don't need a 'flush kit', just a 5/8" garden hose.

Rusty bearings will wear out very quickly and destroy the engine in the process. That's why I would take a few minutes and pull the intake system and look in there with a light & mirror (a web cam would work well, too). Peace of mind.

I'd also be concerned about the two spark plugs that were smashed. Water in the cylinder wouldn't do this, but metal in the cylinder would.

Another word of advice, don't spray WD-40 into your engine.

+1
    OK, so you might have taken that the wrong way.

What I meant was, what good would it do to find anything down there? What would I do if I found something odd? How would I fix that short of rebuilding the engine? That's kinda what I'm asking. I ca pull the carbs and see if any moisture is down there but then what?

What would WD-40 do to the top end besides disperse and dry up the water that got in there? I had it running perfectly about 5 minutes later. I've run it several times since then. Things seem to be good with it.

The seller didn't fire it up...it had no starter in it. Neither ski did. He had put china starters in a few weeks go and they both went bad. I think this one got flipped over and took a sip. He hit the starter and it hydro'd. Thinking the starters went bad he chose not to buy OEM $300 a pop starters and decided to sell. The guy is out of money. That and when I pulled the hose fitting off the pipe it was stuck on like it had been here for a long time. It is a fresh water lake ski though. The water that spit out was clear and clean and tasted fresh. The droplet on the electrode was clear as glass.

I have no idea what happened to the other one. It runs strong as an ox after I put the starter in it.

I'm not trying to be cheap or argue here but digging after a problem that doesn't seem to be there is not my idea of smart at this point. If you can show me what would need to be done if saw something odd in the crank then I'm all ears....well eyes

+1
    So I'm assuming to get a look in the case I will have to pull the upper pipe carbs airbox and intake manifold? Any gaskets have to be replaced if I do this?

+1
    Hmm, looks like the water might have come in through the airbox. The front rubber air tubes have dried water spots..1st cylinder heavy and 2nd lighter and 3rd nothing. All dry and drains clear. This goes along with the water that came out of the cylinders..3 might have been dry now that I think about it.

I can see the intake nuts but this looks rather tricky to get a socket or wrench on. Looks like the expansion chamber and manifold have to come off?

Manual says to replace intake gaskets and such...

+1
    I made my own intake gaskets from a sheet of 1/64" gasket stock from NAPA. Cost me $6 and 45 minutes. (first time I've ever made one)

Considering how bad an induction leak is on the 1200, I would not be reusing any gasket on the induction side of the engine. I wouldn't be waiting 5 days for mail order either this time of year. Thats why I mention making them. Cheap and easy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information