Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

951 carb fuel feed..restricted

so I'm doing a 951 carb rebuild ( this is actually the first carbed 951 I've seen around here that it was worth rebuilding them on most failt he compression test part of the evaluation and I tell him to scrap the boat, or be ready to spend a whole lot of money on it) and I find that the fuel inlet on the pto carb appears really restricted.

This was a salt water queen at one time and I found prodigious amounts of rust particles scattered thruout the entire fuel system ( I also can't believe the boat ever ran worth a crap, I couldn't get it to do much besides start up in the tank, and that was even pushing it)

so I've sprayed, poked and prodded with wire heated it with a torch ( assuming there was a bit of fuel hose stuck in there, but due to the angles involved here, I can't get anything all the way thru. The feed seems so restricted there is no way the pto carb is going to get enough fuel. The plug chop supports this thinking.

Outside of buying a new cover for $100..anybody have anything to add?

I knew getting involved with a salt water boat was going to be a problem, but the guy had been calling on and off all summer, and finally brought her in.

looks like it was sitting with bad fuel for a long time, then somebody filled with with gumout laden fuel from a ten year old rusty steel gas can.
    Last edited by nmpeter; 09-18-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: my spelling often sucks

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    so I'm doing a 951 carb rebuild ( this is actually the first carbed 951 I've seen around here that it was worth rebuilding them on most failt he compression test part of the evaluation and I tell him to scrap the boat, or be ready to spend a whole lot of money on it) and I find that the fuel inlet on the pto carb appears really restricted.

This was a salt water queen at one time and I found prodigious amounts of rust particles scattered thruout the entire fuel system ( I also can't believe the boat ever ran worth a crap, I couldn't get it to do much besides start up in the tank, and that was even pushing it)

so I've sprayed, poked and prodded with wire heated it with a torch ( assuming there was a bit of fuel hose stuck in there, but due to the angles involved here, I can't get anything all the way thru. The feed seems so restricted there is no way the pto carb is going to get enough fuel. The plug chop supports this thinking.

Outside of buying a new cover for $100..anybody have anything to add?

I knew getting involved with a salt water boat was going to be a problem, but the guy had been calling on and off all summer, and finally brought her in.

looks like it was sitting with bad fuel for a long time, then somebody filled with with gumout laden fuel from a ten year old rusty steel gas can.

There used to be a time when you could find Berrymans Chem-Dip in gallon cans. Not sure anymore how available it is. If it's clogged with gummed out fuel that won't break up with aerosol cleaner you might try soaking it overnight in Berrymans and then trying to blow it out again. Also, when it came time to dispose of the 5gal can I used to have our haz mat drop off site at the landfill took it. I even made sure they knew exactly what it was.

send me the cover and i'll take it to work and soak it in this high potent carb cleaner that we have. the guys who service the salt spreaders at work use it. pm me if you're interested.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    take it to any radiator shop and have it dipped in that solution of caustic shit....that will clean it out for sure

+1
    after some more poking around it turns out ( due to my inexperience with the 951 carbs) that this fitting was the return line..seems pretty restricted..but when I recalled some skis use a restriction in the fuel return line this may be perfectly norm. I did drive out the brass drill plug and snaked a 18 gauge copper wire int here..came thru with a little room to spare..so I'm going to put it together and check the pto carb for leaness right after startup. Perhaps a 951 carb guru will chime in on this one. Seems like a strange way to restrict the fuel flow, but not outside what I would consider the seadoo-ness of the 951 ( like the entire exhaust pipe/carb relationship)

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Oreilley's sells the berry shit carburetor dip.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    after some more poking around it turns out ( due to my inexperience with the 951 carbs) that this fitting was the return line..seems pretty restricted..but when I recalled some skis use a restriction in the fuel return line this may be perfectly norm. I did drive out the brass drill plug and snaked a 18 gauge copper wire int here..came thru with a little room to spare..so I'm going to put it together and check the pto carb for leaness right after startup. Perhaps a 951 carb guru will chime in on this one. Seems like a strange way to restrict the fuel flow, but not outside what I would consider the seadoo-ness of the 951 ( like the entire exhaust pipe/carb relationship)

PLease take a picture, it would be pretty hard imo to confuse the return with the inlet, because it says fuel inlet lol.

The return will be coming out of the bottom on the mag carb and be a bigger line.

On mag carb the out most cover will be the fuel pump pressure port.

And then on top of that there it a T this is supply for fuel to the pump and were pressure is built

Well my suggestion is that if its a saltwater Queen, RUN AWAY RUN AWAY lol. Try and find a fresh water set and start from there. I have never had any luck rebuilding any salt water carbs. somthing always breaks on them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtuned View Post
    PLease take a picture, it would be pretty hard imo to confuse the return with the inlet, because it says fuel inlet lol.

on these carbs it just says "fuel" on the cover..but there is no way it's the inlet ( I took a look at my original diagrams and the fuel return line hooked up to it...if it was a jet..the size would be about .90. Was a bit of a head scratcher for me..being it's the first time I worked on some 951 carbs

I'd love to run away from this job..but I ignored the little alarm bells that went off ( well big alarm bells)

I'll get thru this one..but next season...... I may well stay away from some jobs..I took in so much crap this year I barely could take a day off..not that I'm complaining really loud..but 10% of my jobs this year took 40% of my time.

Slatwater work being my worst offender
    Closely followed by amateur hour and pre 1995 skis that have used up thier routine maintenance bankaccount ( in other words, rode hard, put away wet, never seen a new sparkplug or can of spray lube and can I fix it for the weekend for $100)

If I don't put that nutso airbox back on I shouldn't get hurt too badly if I have to pull these a second time.

Considering they were packed with sludgy rust..anything I can do will be a huge increase in performance.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    the "fuel" is the IN side the other should say "RET" for the OUT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information