90 SP still smokey and puking black liquid

I just got my rebuilt short block back and installed it in my 90 SP (the 587 yellow engine). It fired up at the poke of the starter but went right back to massive smoke and then black goo dripping out the exhaust. The goo splatters across the floor when the engine revs up. I've only run the thing on a cart in 10-20 second runs followed by fits of desperation and depression and cooling off (me and the Doo). Anyone got any ideas on what way to go from here?

The initial start was smooth running and sounded okay - just smoke. Then it seemed the plugs fouled and the engine got rough. The rotarty valve cover/oil pump went with the motor to the rebuild and was re-installed there. I doubt anything was done to it beyond take off and put back on. Can that pour in oil somehow? It is common to before and after.

Thanks for any thoughts at all.

+1
    Do you still have the stock carb ???

The carb got rebuilt a while ago but not (if I remember correctly) since the symptoms really worsened. Will the carb affect the amount of oil added? Will "too rich" show up as heavy black liquid in the exhaust? Anyone know where to buy a complete, rebuilt Mikuni BN round body carb? Oh, it's the single carb model by the way.

This started two years ago. The engine was boggy at first and grew to the point of dropping a cylinder and barely getting back to the dock. The plugs looked gassy. Somewhere about then I rebuilt the carb and fuel pump with little or no effect. There was VERY little use of it as every test got worse ending with limping in a small circle back to the dock. A number of kibbutzers agreed the inner seals were probably to blame so I had the thing rebuilt. It was put back together with the carb as it was taken off so that remains a constant and could, for sure, be the possible problem

WW, I appreciate your looking and replying!!!

+1
    Get a square body carb off a 580 white motor. SBN38

Your black oil is excess fuel in the motor washing out the inside of the exhaust system,you need a new carb.

Thread Information