+1

House Warming gift, How much to spend?

Ok My best friends Mom and sister are moving out of their house and into a townhouse for reasons i wont get into... where all very close friends, like family to me. wondering how much i should spend/give? never been big on gifts and such but they have always been there for me. I want to do something nice for them as they have been through alot and this is a big step/change for them.

A Remington 870 costs around $225.

+1
    Dont think they would go for that but not a bad idea lol...I was thinking about $200 and a card though, but i know they will think thats to much...

+1
    Just kinda ask a few ? and find out what they are without and either buy it for them or give some funds to help towards the purchase. when we bought our house my aunt gave us 500.00 gift card to one of the home improvement stores. was one super sweet gift.

Just snoozin' on the couch M447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Treemn View Post
    Just kinda ask a few ? and find out what they are without and either buy it for them or give some funds to help towards the purchase. when we bought our house my aunt gave us 500.00 gift card to one of the home improvement stores. was one super sweet gift.
    +1

A gift card to a home improvement store is ALWAYS welcome. Got one for my cousin when she bought a fixer upper. Helping hands with projects is a good add on.

How much $$? You say they're like family? What's comfortable for you? Go with your gut feeling.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    help them move and that will lessen the $$$$ amount, I guess if they are a DIY a good lowes or Holmes Depot will be good, but if they are not into that than a walmart giftcard always hits the spot. You dont want to give them a 300 card to lowes when they wont even visit the store.

walmart card=universal
    lowes, home depot=certain ppl

+1
    I like giving gift cards from a"general store" kinda place. Target-Walmart-K mart,that way they decide what they really need,household stuff-lights,towels,furniture,hardware. And if they are really going through hard times they can buy food or clothing and it's their business.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    I like giving gift cards from a"general store" kinda place. Target-Walmart-K mart,that way they decide what they really need,household stuff-lights,towels,furniture,hardware. And if they are really going through hard times they can buy food or clothing and it's their business.
    exactly!!!! you couldnt said it better!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Could they use some handyman type help?

Offer yourself (or someone who knows what they are doing) to help/do needed repairs/painting/work around the new place. You can put it in the form of a 'gift card' that you create yourself.

Sometimes people are reluctant to ask for help with a 'big' or difficult job, so making it easier for them to say yes by offering the help in a more formal way can be good.

If money is tight, perhaps a pre-payment to their cell phone, home phone, or another utility bill would help ease the money flow.

If you want to do the gift card thing, look into the resale market. Often people will sell gift cards they cannot use, and you can purchase them for a percentage of the actual card value. Look on Kijiji and Craigslist, but be sure to meet the seller at the store, or otherwise verify that the card really does have the correct value. Some stores will tell you over the phone what value a given card number has left.

Thread Information