Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Question A bunch of SC slip and Spring washer questions.

O.K. I may be over thinking this, but here it goes…are the spring washers that maintain the slip setting on the SC a specific rate or progressive? I ask because if the washers are a specific rate from fully compressed until the tension is relived, than shouldn’t the slip rate be maintained until the clutch washers or clutch gear have worn to the point that the spring washers are no longer compressed?I wouldn't think you would need shims if the spring washers are still compressed. Likewise shouldn’t a freshly rebuilt SC have an ideal slip setting?
    Also can anyone tell me what the slip setting would be for an X charger fresh from the factory?

+1
    Yes your theory is correct BUT under the extreme stress,High RPMs and heat these SCers endure something is bound to give way some...The clutches wear,the gear wears and the spring washers will loose some tension....The bigger the Scer wheels and the more boost that is put out make it harder on the clutching system..BUT i will say that the aftermarket components that are out there now make it much easier to set and maintain desired slip...As for a stock X charger, I would set it up to around 140 inch LBS..what it comes with from the factory???well it could vary from one charger to the next depending on who builds it at that time...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Yes your theory is correct BUT under the extreme stress,High RPMs and heat these SCers endure something is bound to give way some...The clutches wear,the gear wears and the spring washers will loose some tension....The bigger the Scer wheels and the more boost that is put out make it harder on the clutching system..BUT i will say that the aftermarket components that are out there now make it much easier to set and maintain desired slip...As for a stock X charger, I would set it up to around 140 inch LBS..what it comes with from the factory???well it could vary from one charger to the next depending on who builds it at that time...
    Thanks Snoman, I guess I'd like to know where the 140 inlbs. setting comes from. I'd figure that SC's with all fresh washers and gears should be darn close to the same "provided they were rebuilt with the same kits" and if that slip setting is only 100 inlbs for example would you still suggest shimming to get it to the 140 setting?

+1
    The method of figuring out the proper slip is take the LBS of boost a proposed Scer wheel is suppost to put out, and for every pound of boost times that by 12 and that should give you the number in inch lbs that the Scer should be set to...Me personaly i dont like using shims so i combine older and newer Spring washers to get my desired slip...Shims are OK dont get me wrong,i just dont prefer to use them..

+1
    Let's say you have a supercharger that puts out 13 lbs with a stock ecu, and could also put out 15 lbs with a Riva ecu. Do you set the slip for which ever ecu you are running?

Banned User
    +1
    Spin up and spin down slip will take longer when the rpm limits are increased.

You're overthinking it

BOV's also remove the charged air. The charged air helps spin the SC down quicker. FYI.
    BOV's = more clutch wear.

Quote Originally Posted by lolzer View Post

You're overthinking it

BOV's also remove the charged air. The charged air helps spin the SC down quicker. FYI.
    OH NO! BOV's = MORE clutch wear?
    I bought a HKS "hi end" bov to help preserve my S/C. Did I waste my money?

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by H2oinmyveins View Post
    OH NO! BOV's = MORE clutch wear?
    I bought a HKS "hi end" bov to help preserve my S/C. Did I waste my money?
    In theory it does make sense, you mostly see blow off's on turbochargers, most ppl on this forum will tell you to get rid off the blow off valve.
    I personally would not run one. I would hate for them to leak on me while I'm trying to enjoy my day at the lake

Banned User
    +1
    hehe

In an ideal world, the SC's on our shaft driven skis would spin perfectly in tune to the RPM without any need for slip... In a perfect world... Where stress fractures and metal fatigue wouldn't be a factor.

Yeah same, would not run one, its just more shit that can go wrong... I first thought they'd reduce the stress on the SC but the charge air actually helps balance it... It gets a bit trickier when you have a dynamic environment though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lolzer View Post

You're overthinking it

You have it backwards...BOVs reduce clutch wear by letting the charged air out of the system when rpms get chopped quickly....You stated that the charged air actually equalizes the system when throttle is chopped without a BOV???Could you please explain cause I don't see how that can be..The BOV lets the system equalize IMO under throttle chop seeing it lets the excess pressure out not back feeding it into the Scer, therefore not letting or trying to spin the wheel backwards of the excess boost pressure therefore not putting excessive strain or pressure on the clutches...Not trying to start shit here but intrested in your theory...

I also do not run a BOV for the simple reason they leak..I used to run a high end one and it leaked like a siv...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information