Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bought new battery...now it's dead!

I recently had an issue with my 05RXT (not related to this problem) and I took it to the shop. When I brought it home to take it out on the water, I inserted the key and got no display or beeps. Did a voltage test and got a reading of 4.5v I removed the battery and noticed it was older than 4 years old, so I purchased an AGM battery, installed it and she worked perfectly.

I did happen to notice a slight "zapping" noise from the fuse panel area but didn't think anything of it. It sat for about two weeks before I took it out again and to my surprise I had no display and it wouldn't start. I put the meter on the battery again and got a reading of 8.5v.

After reading some of the other forums I'm leaning toward the starter relay, but I don't have a service manual and before I go out and start buying parts, I was hoping for some direction. Thanks in advance!

+1
    Something is draining your battery but first check out what that zapping noise is from the fuse box!

Cool

Right now I'm in the process of recharging the battery. In the mean time I'm going to go through all the fuses and test them with my meter. Then go through my grounds...

I'll keep you posted! Thanks

+1
    What was the issue previously?

My hood shock rusted in the closed position and when I opened the hood, it pulled the bottom support bracket out of the hull.

So I had to take it to the dealer to have them rivet it back on. They had it for about 1 1/2 weeks and when I brought it home is when I noticed the the "original" battery was dead.

+1
    YA that doesnt seem to be related in anyway. Usually what I do to find a drain is disconnect the positive cable and hook an ammeter between the positive battery terminal and cable. Then start pulling fuses til the ammeter drops down to almost 0. The fuse you pull that made the ammeter drop is your problem circuit

GGG,

I had a battery tender on for the past couple of days and got it back to over 12v. I connected the neg terminal, then jumped the post and pos cable with my meter...and as soon as the connection was made, I started to watch my voltage drop rather quickly.

I started to pull a fuse one at a time and all that did was temporarily stop the voltage drop until I put it back in. I stopped after pulling 3 of them and disconnected my meter thinking this wasn't suppose to happen.

Any ideas?

+1
    when you pull a fuse and that doesnt make a difference then you have to replace it before you pull the next fuse. But anyway. which fuse did you pull that made that battery stop draining?

Before I even started to pull any fuses the voltage was dropping. I started off with the 30amp fuses that are in the upper left area of the MPEM when your facing it.

+1
    ok well you didnt hook the volt meter up the way i was saying. the way you hooked the meter up voltage dropping was not a good thing. so whatever fuse you pulled out that stopped the voltage from dropping is your problem. dont start with the 30 amp fuses either because that kills everything at once making it harder to narrow it down

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information