Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rough water riding.....? tips on how to ride and care for my ski?

Hi all, yesterday i decided to go out in a 5-8ft swell, it was too windy and rough for propper wave jumping as they were too close together and from every direction.It was a 60-70mile trip and took 4-5hours

The ski was going over a wave and prop spinning then Though the next like a submarine and biting real hard as the pump gripped again. this was every few meters of the trip.

As i have just had a new clutch on the ski i am after advice on what to do in conditions next time as i dont want to damage my ski as believe me it took a battering and so did i in fact today i discovered muscles i never new i had

so what shall i do next time so i dont ruin my ski?
    (apart from stay indoors)

thanks ian

should i totally let of the throttle on the first jump? and just hold on for dear life?

ian

i will get all the rest i need when im dead corkycat's Avatar
    +1
    to ride waves eficiently its all about finger control, its no good having all that power if you cant master how to put it down, i let somebody ride my sho last week in 2ft chop as i rode his ultra 150 and i was about 2 miles ahead of him on his ski, and he couldnt catch me

ian ask your mrs about finger control she will show you how to do it

+1
    Ian, I don't know what to tell you.
    I wouldn't submit my 20 foot boat to those conditions, much less my 12 foot long personal watercraft. We have people on here who jump their skis until the hulls crack, then complain if the manufacturer won't repair them. We have people on here who run their skis into trees, and blame it on the sponsons. We have others who run these 800-900 lb. craft entirely out of the water, right up on the beach, it never ends. They must all have more money than I do, because I was forced to learn a long time ago to take care of my vehicles and vessels. My advice is just use some common sense and your PWC will last longer so you can get out there and enjoy it when the weather is nice.

+1
    on the other hand ian you can take yoyammas sensible aproach wich i must admit is poetry in a post
    i could see that tree coming before he even turned, it hurt me and i was this side of the screen...

Lol thanks.... Well the trip involved a 25-30 mile sprint across to have breckfast with another group of lads and then the return trip dramatically changed....

The wind picked and we had to go straight in to it to get back home.... (THE UK WEATHER)

So to get home we had to hug the coast line and go a long way round

It's easy saying u would not take ya ski out in it but if u live on the east coast of the uk like me, 6 months of the year it be crap out! And changes in minutes. Same goes up there for u corky???

It was either travel in those conditions or wait 10 hours till dark and miss the tide. And then be stranded for 24 hours lol

So what I'm asking is if it happens again what's the beat thing to do, Mark I tried finger control but was just coming at me from all directions and the waves were too close together lol

Sat at about 4-5k rpm all the way

Ian

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MR MAC View Post
    Lol thanks.... Well the trip involved a 25-30 mile sprint across to have breckfast with another group of lads and then the return trip dramatically changed....

The wind picked and we had to go straight in to it to get back home.... (THE UK WEATHER)

So to get home we had to hug the coast line and go a long way round

It's easy saying u would not take ya ski out in it but if u live on the east coast of the uk like me, 6 months of the year it be crap out! And changes in minutes. Same goes up there for u corky???

It was either travel in those conditions or wait 10 hours till dark and miss the tide. And then be stranded for 24 hours lol

So what I'm asking is if it happens again what's the beat thing to do, Mark I tried finger control but was just coming at me from all directions and the waves were too close together lol

Sat at about 4-5k rpm all the way

Ian
    i have been caught exactly the same as you
    20 min trip had a couple of cold ale's then wind blew up
    took over 2 hours to get back to the ramp , sometimes there is just no choice
    in most rough stuff you can go faster than you think and you will get a better ride
    i ride with newbies alot and some just don't get it that if you go faster it becomes easier
    you need to build up speed in the right spot then keep enough speed to get through the roughest bits
    but in saying that there are times when you just have to go slow,
    the waves keep splashing straight into your eyes and they get so sore you just can't see whats coming , and the only choice is to ride slower and then like a vicious circle you crash through more waves and your hurt more than you thought possible

kev

+1
    yeah im the same ian, i ride in the irish sea (the worst sea in the whole of the uk for wind and currents) 95% of my total riding has been in 5ft+ chop joking aside i find a zig zag riding style helps you gut further quicker

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by corkycat View Post
    i find a zig zag riding style helps you gut further quicker
    +1.... well kinda, once you've been riding for a long time (years) you will be able to read any wave in your path and will learn how to best deal with it. I can go out in 5 foot swells and stay decently dry at a good speed. It's all about reading the waves, throttle control, and stearing.

+1
    This is not something you could actually describe over the www but what I do besides the finger control is to stand up and use my feet to move the ski up and down like the 2010 rxt x and use my legs as sort of shocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information